Qbasicnews.com
January 17, 2022, 10:00:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: QB & WinXP  (Read 5617 times)
Gamefreak

« on: February 14, 2003, 10:28:19 PM »

How do I get QB to work the same in XP as it does in 98?
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2003, 11:05:24 AM »

You can't.

QB is a DOS program. WinXP is not fully DOS compatible, so change your language or change your OS Sad or stay where you are bearing the incompatibilities and the slow execution.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
ak00ma
Ancient Guru

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2003, 11:07:27 AM »

Yeah, this is right. First I had only WinXp on my PC and QB was as slow as possible. Cause of that I reinstalled Win98 and let it run parallely to WinXP.
So I use XP for games and so on and 98 for QB...

B 4 EVER
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2003, 11:11:48 AM »

Yeah - Ak00ma's is the best sollution. It is easy to make first a small partition and install Windows 98 in C, and then install Win2K or WinXP over it in another folder or hard disk drive. I'd suggest you to install Win2K instead of WinXP, but that's your  choice.

ak00ma
Ancient Guru

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2003, 11:47:03 AM »

On my PC it runs properly (XP on C: (70GB) / 98 on D: (4GB))

B 4 EVER
Agamemnus
x/ \z

hmm
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2003, 12:35:15 PM »

What about DOS? Is it possible to make a DOS partition, assuming you have a copy of just DOS?

Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2003, 01:29:41 PM »

Well, it is more tricky. You have to install it in the primary partition of your primary hard disk, that is C:\ . It won't work from anywhere else, at least you look for a third party boot manager (I recommend GAG).

In my 486 I did this: I installed a hard disk as a primary and installed DOS to it. Then I changed it to secondary, put another hard disk and installed Windows 9X to it. Using GAG you can choose to boot from one or another, swapping drives (so for DOS C:\ is D:\ and D:\ is C:\).

The best option is to install Windows 98 and Windows 2000. It is easier, and Windows 98 offers a good (if not total) DOS compatibility as long as you have all your devices correctly configured to work under DOS.

Gamefreak

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2003, 02:46:52 PM »

Well, installing Win98 isn't really an option for me, so I guess I am going to have to switch over to C++ and DirectX.  Oh well.
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2003, 02:50:32 PM »

return your computer and get one that can run QB.

Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2003, 04:10:12 PM »

Quote from: "Gamefreak"
Well, installing Win98 isn't really an option for me, so I guess I am going to have to switch over to C++ and DirectX.  Oh well.

Why isn't it an option for you? Having it in its own partition won't make any harm to your true, WinXP working partition. It is so easy to do. It won't change your life only in the 5 seconds that the boot manager that WindowsXP installs automaticly waits for you to decide whether running Win98 or leave it alone and run WinXP.

I'll be upgrading to Win2K when I get my new computer, but I don't want to lose all that old pieces of golden software nor the QB marvels, so I will stick to Win98 at least in a small retrogaming partition Wink

Glenn
I hold this place together

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2003, 12:11:28 AM »

Quote from: "na_th_an"
Well, it is more tricky. You have to install it in the primary partition of your primary hard disk, that is C:\ . It won't work from anywhere else, at least you look for a third party boot manager (I recommend GAG).

In my 486 I did this: I installed a hard disk as a primary and installed DOS to it. Then I changed it to secondary, put another hard disk and installed Windows 9X to it. Using GAG you can choose to boot from one or another, swapping drives (so for DOS C:\ is D:\ and D:\ is C:\).

The best option is to install Windows 98 and Windows 2000. It is easier, and Windows 98 offers a good (if not total) DOS compatibility as long as you have all your devices correctly configured to work under DOS.

Why is it more tricky to have two partitions with one running WinXP and the other with DOS than to have two partitions with one running XP and the other with 98? DOS has to be on that other partition in the first place in order for 98 to load.  I have ME on one partition and DOS 6.22 on the other.  It works just fine.  (Well, except for the ME partition; ME keeps coming up on the infernal thing.)

P.S.  As for your "if not total," it's not total.  (95's isn't even total and it supports DOS better than 98.)

ravelling Curmudgeon
(geocities sites require copying and pasting URLs.)
I liked spam better when it was something that came in a can.
Windows should be defenestrated.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2003, 01:37:08 AM »

I said "tricky" 'cause I haven't done it and I don't know if his WinXP version is bootable from BIOS or something.

Glenn
I hold this place together

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2003, 02:38:35 AM »

DOS, because if you didn't put "DOS 8" (or whatever it's called) on that partition, you didn't put Win98 on it either.  Smiley

ravelling Curmudgeon
(geocities sites require copying and pasting URLs.)
I liked spam better when it was something that came in a can.
Windows should be defenestrated.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: