Qbasicnews.com
November 28, 2021, 12:22:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: QB45 speed vs VBDOS vs QB7.1  (Read 3302 times)
jcc3inc

« on: February 13, 2003, 11:36:38 PM »

Gentlemen:

I was pleased to read that Agamenus found the speed of a program run in VBDOS ran about 2x as fast as QB4.5!  I had to try that out and here are the results for .EXE programs:

QB45 speed w/FFIX  6404
QB7.1 speed w/FFIX ~ 6600
VBDOS speed w/FFIX ~ 6600
PowerBasic speed 9270

All the Basics ran about the same speed for this number handling application.  All needed FFIX to almost double the speed.  But PB is about 1.4 x as fast!

When I run the .EXE  on my ($35 swap meet) 133 MHz unit I get 6400 speed.  Running on my 500 MHz unit the speed is 8785!  That is  about 1.37 times faster! Can you offer an explanation as to why it's not 500/133 (=3.7x) times as fast?

Thanks for your inputs.

Jack C.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 09:08:53 AM »

OS overload, FPU not as fast as it should be, poor and old 16 bits code... many reasons Wink

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 08:02:12 PM »

megahertz is no indicator of speed.  it is only the frequency of the chip.  most companies make their chips go at a higher frequency so people believe it is faster because of that misconception, but in fact it has little effect on the speed itself.  instead, look at the number of flops (floating point operations) it can do in a second, if that's available to you.  also, other factors, memory, memory usage, etc. can make the speed vary.

i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 10:54:33 PM »

Well, at least it looked at the time to be faster...

My program did a lot of calculations and a LOT MORE array access as opposed to graphics, so your results may vary.

Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: