Qbasicnews.com
September 20, 2021, 02:47:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help for a newbie  (Read 4754 times)
zwillis091

« on: July 06, 2006, 01:02:10 AM »

I must be stupid or something, I don't know. I am a newbie, and while I have some good ideas for the layout's for various programs, I do not understand the technical part. I must be stupid because I can't seem to learn certain parts of Qbasic. Too bad I couldn't have my personal tutor. Anyway could someone please explain simple graphics too me, I tries what one of the tutorials said and even the example code they used would not work. Please teach me simple graphics, and explain arrays, and sprites too me!! I guess not everyone can be a programmer. Like I said I am good at computers and program design and layout, but I don't understand when it comes to the actual "programming" part of it. I even have a layout and design of my own OS, but the problem is putting it in code. Anway enough chit chat, I need some advice and some answers.

ne man's trash is another man's treasure" To some people old 386 computers, and thier slow techonology is useless, too me, it's just something else to tinker with.
nkk_kan

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 06:25:45 AM »

Well,U wanted to make an OS....
it's very hard...
and u should make some more *simpler* programs before
and there are lots of tutorials on www.petesqbsite.com
check it out first and then may be u can try it...

\__/)
(='.'=) Copy bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination.
nkk_kan

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 06:29:20 AM »

Well,U wanted to make an OS....
it's very hard...
and u should make some more *simpler* programs before
and there are lots of tutorials on www.petesqbsite.com
check it out first and then may be u can try it...

and yeah
also check out Seb McClouth's Qbinux!
It is great work in making an OS...
and check it out at

http://www.freewebs.com/mcclouth/

\__/)
zwillis091

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 03:03:32 AM »

Um. ok.. How do you install his so called OS. I mean I had good designs of how one would be layed out, but after that, I'm done.

ne man's trash is another man's treasure" To some people old 386 computers, and thier slow techonology is useless, too me, it's just something else to tinker with.
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 03:09:15 AM »

Do you honestly have any idea what you're talking about? Don't bother lying, if you have anything to say, say it now or I suggest just stop talking about it, everyone here has seen a million people come and go claiming they had plans for / were building an OS.

It's so god damn old already!  :crying:
whitetiger0990
__/--\__

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 04:48:05 AM »

@zwillis091:

I have a strong feeling by "layed out" you mean "The toolbar goes here... and the window goes here... under the title bar"... If that's what you mean, than you have no reason to go talking about making an OS. An OS is a lot more complex than that. If you reeeeally wanted to make an OS from scratch you'd also have to write the controls for the monitor.. hell, write the controls for printing the letter "A" to the buffer. You'd have to write your own code to get data off a floppy.. (no more opening a file from A:.. A: is windows).. you need your own keyboard routines.. mouse.. everything. That is an OS. If you are talking about having some windows and being able to move them around.. and have some sort of scripting language to control them, that's a fakeOS. It runs on top of a real OS.

bleh...

[size=10]Back by popular demand!
I will byte and nibble you bit by bit until nothing remains but crumbs.[/size]
Deleter
Na_th_an

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 05:45:52 AM »

good grief...no I do not wonder why the us has this image...at this point I've bought my plane ticket and passport >>

KiZ
__/--\__

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 10:43:16 AM »

Quote from: "Deleter"

good grief...no I do not wonder why the us has this image...at this point I've bought my plane ticket and passport >>

Ive got a spare bedroom free.  :mrgreen:
nkk_kan

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 10:56:28 AM »

And on top of that to make a REAL os,YOu will need to learn ASM
Without it,it is not possible to make even a fakeOS

And you don't just need graphics and things "Layed out"
you need to learn many things basically ASM and some basic commands like RMDIR,KILL...(but u can do without them if u know asm)

\__/)
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 01:30:25 PM »

If you use KILL for example you are using MSDOS.

This is the 129902384029384th time I write this: QB executables run on top of MSDOS thus you won't be able to create an OS in QB. You can create a shell for MSDOS, that's all.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
WaffleMan

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 12:44:00 AM »

I think the fellow has gotten "OS" confused with "GUI." There's a difference, you know, zwillis. No one person alone can ever write an OS and do it successfully, unless you're super l33t and have a lot of time on your hands.

If you want to learn more about GUIs (Graphic User Interfaces)  in QBASIC, try http://gui.jacobpalm.dk/. The site may have something you're looking for, but don't start messing with them until you've got your skills down, because then you'll get lost.

And no, you are not stupid; you just don't know where to start. If you really want to start with QBASIC (no sense wasting money if you don't), I recommend QBASIC By Example. It explains all the basic commands of QBASIC 1.1.

And once you get the hang of QBASIC, I recommend you move on to FreeBASIC, because it's a bit more advanced than QBASIC and lets you do things that would take forever to do in QBASIC, like music and graphics.

Anyone can be a programmer, but it takes a lot of time, patience, and heart to become good at the craft. You'll never get to the top of the game in one fell swoop. You have to work at it.

It's also a good thing that you plan your programs out first before even thinking about programming. That's a good first step.

I hope I helped more than these other nimrods.

url=http://www.freewebs.com/boxtopstuff/]Planet Boxtop[/url] (Look out for the redesign!)
The only member of QBNF with severe "tomorrow syndrome."
Anonymous
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 12:49:50 AM »

Yeah, even though you called me a nimrod, you're right. Your post was way better, and actually might help someone.

Just gets old after a while, you'd think someone might search the forum for it, and see how people generally respond. Just a thought.
KiZ
__/--\__

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 07:08:10 AM »

Yeah, I think everyone got carried away when NKK started blabbing about programming a real OS. The poor dude said he cant even get arrays down, so I dont think he is up to his own machine code just yet.

actual reply to Zwillis: (so this freakin stands out :P)
Dont fret, man. I have a friend who just cant get the logic of programming down at all. No matter how many times I explain it, he just cant program anything, even in QB.

I think its good to start from basics.

Have you tried the tutorials at http://www.qbasicnews.com/tutorials.php by radiohands? I've never used them but I hear they are quite nifty.

If there are particular parts you are stuck on, come back to the forum and ask about those particular questions. Be **specific**, because your question "teach me simple graphics" is a bit vague, and wont pull many worthwhile answers (which is why this thread got so clouded).

If you want someone to teach you arrays, I suggest making a new thread entitled "Help with arrays" and the body simply asking to explain how arrays work. That will pull plenty of answers from the right people ;)

Good luck!
nkk_kan

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 08:47:37 AM »

well yeah kiz is right

start from basics...
and then there are lot of tutorials out there
and after that there is FREEBASIC!

there is always more to learn in Programming..
so from one point of view we,all are n00bs...=P

yeah i just told him what he wanted..
nothing else but u are right
i should have noticed that.....

\__/)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: