Qbasicnews.com
February 23, 2020, 06:45:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Creating my own text world Help  (Read 8967 times)
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 10:21:22 AM »

Rattrapmax, you haven't got it. This guy doesn't want to make a tile game in text mode, but a text adventure game or interactive fiction, which is something quite different.

Get the freakin' game Cheesy

http://www.apeshell.net/downloads/

(seriously, and you'll know what we are talking about Smiley)

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Rattrapmax6
__/--\__

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 01:56:44 PM »

Quote from: "Mitth'raw'nuruodo"
Nice however I don't like that Can't pass thing, because it doesn't clear when I don't try to do it again, so it PRINTs it once then it will show forever.

Its a example...

What, you mean, Na_th_an, just a story, no Maps n stuff? I'll look at the game.  :wink:

Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Ancient Guru

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 05:27:26 PM »

A text game!!! Ahhh!!! You don't know what a text game is?! kidding.... Tongue

lol  :lol:  I knew it was an example....just joking.

i]"But...it was so beautifully done"[/i]
Rattrapmax6
__/--\__

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2005, 07:56:55 PM »

A text game!!! Ahhh!!! You don't know what a text game is?! kidding.... Tongue

lol  :lol:  I knew it was an example....just joking.

Smiley I go by x.t.r.GRAPHICS!!! I never look at any text based game layouts.. so I must no idea between the two. oh well, what was the one I did called, those are the ones I see the most of.. :Huh:

Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

Liquid Snake
Wandering Guru

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2005, 09:49:51 PM »

Ya, GOSUBs are the definent WRONG way, they are ok, but still really crappy like GOTO. If I want to do a SUB I just do a SUB the normal way.

And yes I only had a half a year course too (not even two years ago, and before that I had no knowlege of QB), but you can learn so much on your own (I am already doing my first good game in pure QB, and another in 3D!) or with help here like you are doing now (making mistakes), but mistakes are how you learn so, keep up the good work Liquid Snake. :wink:

I try.  However, not having a computer of my own is a bit of a problem.  It's hard to learn if you can't reach the "help" option in qbasic.  All these posts I've been sending are on other people's computers...sometimes school computers.  Just saying...

Those games you mentioned sound interesting, hope you show us.
There is no easy way of making a 3d game is there?

Not yet Snake! It's not over yet!
Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Ancient Guru

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2005, 01:10:08 AM »

In FB its easy (never tried but Rattra says so), in QB its a PAIN!

Brush up on your trig and read Rel's 3D tuts and you should be fine.

Well know what you mean....

Half my posts are from school too.

Hey! Your a Massachusetts person! You ever been to the Providence College Programming Competition? To the Northbridge C++ one? :bounce:

i]"But...it was so beautifully done"[/i]
Rattrapmax6
__/--\__

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2005, 07:17:17 PM »

In FB its easy (never tried but Rattra says so), in QB its a PAIN!

Eh, I said its easier to get better looking 3D with the higher resolution, the vectors don't crack as much, and its faster!!!! But there still alot of math and all that...

But this is a Textadventure topic.. I really don't fell like downloading a 1.5meg program right now to get up to speed, I'll just do it what ever way I did above myself, thats funner to me.. :wink: , or write a Tile RPG or something, hmm... But I'm of no use to this thread any more, so off I go.. :roll:

Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2005, 11:13:25 AM »

Look at the examples above. No maps, no top-view, no keys to move, no vga retrace. That's a tile engine in text mode.

Interactive fiction is like reading a book and telling the book what you want to do. Conversational adventures.

Is it so hard to fucking click a link and wait 5 minutes until the thing downloads...?

Anyways... talking to walls ain't fun.

Meg
Ancient QBer

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2005, 12:40:38 PM »

Nathan, I love the idea of IF, and am really looking forward to the next chapter of your tutorial on it.  Please post here or drop me a PM or something when it's written.  IF is definitely the kind of project I could dedicate myself to writing.

*peace*

Meg.

p.s. I seem to remember my uncle playing an old Zork game or something and typing in "Pick up stick and hit puppet."  The game result was:

Obtained: Stick.
You punch the puppet!
Anonymous
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2005, 02:39:32 PM »

Quote from: "Meg"
Nathan, I love the idea of IF, and am really looking forward to the next chapter of your tutorial on it.  Please post here or drop me a PM or something when it's written.  IF is definitely the kind of project I could dedicate myself to writing.

*peace*

Meg.

p.s. I seem to remember my uncle playing an old Zork game or something and typing in "Pick up stick and hit puppet."  The game result was:

You punch the puppet!

lol =D heyyyyyy btw.... what ever happened to your MUD... man that was sooo cool !!
Meg
Ancient QBer

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2005, 02:50:07 PM »

http://forum.qbasicnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=77759#77759
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2005, 05:05:11 AM »

Quote from: "Meg"

*peace*

Meg.

You punch the puppet!

Sure.

This chapter is taking longer to prepare 'cause I'm gonna implement a very simple version of the engine step by step and I want this to be "good code". I am stuck in the scripting engine which will be used to check the "exceptions".

The small implementation is capable to do what you refer, i.e.: "take the box, open it and examine it" will result on:

You take the box.
Now the box is open.
It is a small wooden box. It is open. Inside you can see a pen and a coin.

My dream has always been building a great multiplayer IF accross the internet. Not just a MUD, but more a server based massive interactive fiction game...

Someday Cheesy

Storymaster

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2005, 11:47:13 AM »

:evil:  
Really.

have seen the end of every Zork ever made, I have played text based games from Atlantis to the depths of thee unimaginable, and I'm the only one who knows about it. Because I've done battle with the worst of creations.
Phydaux

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2005, 02:21:10 PM »

I used to be into IF in a big way years and years ago. I wrote, but didn't complete many stories. All written in inform. After realising there were such well established programs (like Inform and TADS) I never bothered coding one in QB. Tongue

url=http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=60131&t=79][/url]
END OF LINE.
Rattrapmax6
__/--\__

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2005, 02:44:03 PM »

Quote from: "na_th_an"
Look at the examples above. No maps, no top-view, no keys to move, no vga retrace. That's a tile engine in text mode.

Interactive fiction is like reading a book and telling the book what you want to do. Conversational adventures.

I gathered that much

Is it so hard to @$ click a link and wait 5 minutes until the thing downloads...?

Um, I don't have two pounds, got the dollar, will that do? :rotfl:

Kevin (x.t.r.GRAPHICS)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: