Qbasicnews.com
April 12, 2021, 08:21:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Having trouble understanding how to download FreeBasic.  (Read 14468 times)
v3cz0r
I hold this place together

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2005, 11:46:49 PM »

I'm glad FB worked for you, many QB quirks (or "features" for some) weren't implemented, nor will, as they won't work in a 32-bit environment -- or because only M$ knows really the black-magic used on some functions and statements, nevermind..

Dr_Davenstein
Na_th_an

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2005, 12:33:25 AM »

Moneo, I'm just curious.  Did the program do something useful for your business, or was it like a screensaver/demo?
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2005, 10:52:34 PM »

Quote from: "Dr_Davenstein"
Moneo, I'm just curious.  Did the program do something useful for your business, or was it like a screensaver/demo?

The 100 line program actually did something useful. Let me tell you the story.

For a year, the company tried at least 4 software packages that were supposed to collect an installed software inventory of their 350 networked PC's. They all failed in one way or another. So, they took the inventory manually, PC by PC, which took 3 months.

I came up with the idea of writing and installing a batchfile on each PC, which was launched at PC startup by the Windows Scheduled Task feature. The batchfile does a REGEDIT and an IPCONFIG onto a text file, filters out the extra stuff using FIND, and deposits the list of installed software to a uniquely PC-identified text file onto a file server.

The manager of the dept that needs the software inventory had no way of gathering all the text files from the file server into one giant fixed format file that he needed. So, the QB program I wrote was compiled in FB and installed on his machine so he could obtain the fixed format file. He could not run any MSDOS or 16 bit program.  That's why FB was crucial.

We ran a pilot, and it works fine. Now they're gonna set it up to run on all 350 PC's. Too bad I'm not going to be there to see the fruits of my labor, because today was my last day at the company.
The manager said he would let me know.
relsoft
*/-\*

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2005, 11:21:07 PM »

Aw that sucks. But hey, yousave their asses. :*)

Good luck with your new job!

y smiley is 24 bit.

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2005, 09:11:19 PM »

Quote from: "relsoft"
Aw that sucks. But hey, yousave their asses. :*)

Good luck with your new job!

Thanks for your thoughts, Relsoft. Actually, I don't have a new job lined up. I'm looking at doing some freelance programming, and maybe selling my software inventory solution to other companies. It's amazing how much unlicensed software is out there. If companies don't do an inventory and cleanup this situation, they could be in big trouble.
relsoft
*/-\*

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2005, 05:09:54 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see them begging you to come back after 2 months just to fix things up. :*)

y smiley is 24 bit.

Genso's Junkyard:
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2005, 04:02:09 PM »

Yeah, Relsoft, that's quite possible. They just don't have a programmer's mentality for solving problems.

Imagine, there are 70 people in the Technology department, of which about 7 are programmers from an outsourcing outfit. Being expensive, these programmers are kept busy mostly on maintenance of Intranet ASP applications.

The rest of the department does things manually. They claim using "databases", which actually are Excel spreadsheets and about two people use Access. These "databases" are used about as manually as you can get.

So, when they need to process any of the data that they have collected on their "databases", they're stuck, and resort to doing it manually somehow.

What has happened to Technology, which we used to call Systems? Systems departments used to be mostly programmers, and some operators. Now, they devote themselves to Infrastructure, Resource Mgmt, Asset Mgmt, Information Security, Threat Mgmt., etc. There are no more in-house programmers any more. This is the new trend.
Dr_Davenstein
Na_th_an

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2005, 05:56:19 PM »

Is it possible that you could do contract programming for them, kinda like the outsourcing they do? You should whip up a database program using FB, take a demo to them and name your price. Wink
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2005, 08:45:08 PM »

Good idea, Dr., thanks.

What exactly do you mean by "whip up a database program"? You don't mean an Excel or Access replacement, do you? What do you have in mind?
Dr_Davenstein
Na_th_an

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2005, 11:41:46 PM »

Basically I just mean something to make accessing the database really easy and fast. I'm not sure what kind of work you're doing, but it sounds like you could squeeze a bit 'o' money out of 'em, if you tried. Hey, it's a corporation, So what? Wink
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2005, 02:59:00 PM »

Dr.,

Last night I spoke to my son about your idea. He has a Computer Science degree. Anyway, he showed me how an Excel spreadsheet can be "saved as" an HML formatted file, which is a text file that can be easily digested by say a FB program. What's your opinion about this?

On of the major problems that I saw in my previous company was that Excel "databases" lacked data integrity and data validity. An FB program could check for these problems and report.

By data integrity I mean that "key" fields, like maybe employee number, actually exist on the master file (another person's Excel) where employee numbers are maintained with adds, deletes, and changes. You would need a copy of the master file in order to do the checking or matching.

By data validity I mean obvious stuff like:
* numeric fields are truly numeric, and right justified. If the field is a fixed length code, it must have leading zeros to fill out the length. Example: a 9 digit SSN with a leading zero should not appear as 8 digits.
* Alpha or alphanumeric fields should be left justified.
* Dates must be valid regardless of the format.
* Mandatory fields must not be blank or null.
* If a field is to contain a code, like 1, 2, or 3, then obviously it can't contain any other character.
* etc.

If these problems of integrity and validity are ignored, that is, not checked, then in short time the particular "database" is out of sync and full of garbage, and its reports are worthless.
relsoft
*/-\*

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2005, 03:20:45 AM »

I say go for it!  Cheesy

y smiley is 24 bit.

Genso's Junkyard:
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2005, 01:56:07 AM »

I made a mistake when I said to save an Excel file to HML --- it's XML. Anyway, I did some additional testing and found that the old "comma delimited" format .CSV is a lot simpler, and the only disadvantages are:
1) If a field (cell) contains text having a embedded comma, the entire cell is placed in quotes.
2) Any embedded quotes will appear as double quotes.
3) Multiple worksheets cannot be exported.

The embedded commas or quotes only requires a few extra lines of code, just in case.
Usually, you don't need to export multiple worksheets. If so, you can always export each worksheet separately.
However, parsing the .CSV is infinitely simpler that the very clever but intricate .XML format.

Any opinions or experiences?
Dr_Davenstein
Na_th_an

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2005, 02:10:40 AM »

It just depends I guess. I'm working on some 3D games in FB, and I'm using Lightwave to create the models. The default format for saving Lightwave objects is (.lwo), which is iff standard compliant, but I'm exporting mine as Wavefront(.obj), which is an ASCII format that is much easier to decipher. I really hate the way they did it, but I'm going to have to figure it out because the .lwo files hold information about the models that can only be obtained by a cheap hack... aka(doing it the way I am now.)

I guess it all depends on how much it's worth to ya. Wink
marzecTM
Ancient Guru

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2005, 02:38:02 AM »

i have some experience in the exact area you are trying to get your foot in ( or out Smiley ).

the company setup where i worked for a few summers was exactly the same. internal communications via asp sites on the intranet ( phonebooks, reviews, reports etc. ), database managment in the normal bureaus via Excel. the company is the biggest car producing company in my country which shocked me a lot when i happened to see their internal data managment.

i was "forced" to provide them solutions to similar problems that you described ( data mining etc. ) via VBA, the ms office coding language of choice. i proposed to use a real database managment system but they refused this as the employers liked excel so much and it took years to get them to use excel.

well, of course doing stuff like writing a script that harvests datafields from several excel sheets of the same format is a poc. but it's in general a baaaaadd idea. nobody can guarentee you the integrity of the formating which has to stay the same. now go make your employees stick to that. no chance. maybe possible with about 10-20 ppl but not with say 500 of them.

Also such a "solution" has to be taylored on the companies "excel sheet standard". basically resulting in a hack for each and every company you want to sell your product.

don't get me wrong. this excel sheet tatics seem to be standard nowadays, resulting from some computer iliterate employes that normal do financial stuff and just explored the hackish ness of vba scripts. it's insane. still, if you find a dumb enough company ( and there's plenty of those ) and make them buy your product go ahead, money is a nice thing to have. just make sure you don't have a contract that guarantees support on demand. cause you'd not find time to eat anymore.

quote="NecrosIhsan"]

[/quote]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: