Qbasicnews.com
April 12, 2021, 07:31:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Having trouble understanding how to download FreeBasic.  (Read 14467 times)
Moneo
Na_th_an

« on: February 26, 2005, 10:53:36 PM »

* Went to the FB site.
* Selected download.
* Got a page that says "Please select a mirror".
--- Don't know what they mean by mirror.
--- The selections for mirror are Europe, Asia, North America.
--- I'm in Mexico. Do they consider Mexico as North America?
--- If so, which selection for North America should I choose?

* Then, there's another selection: "Select Preferred Mirror".
--- There are selections for different countries, like easynews (US).
--- Again, being in Mexico, which should I choose?

Thanks,
Moneo
Antoni Gual
Na_th_an

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 11:07:08 PM »

Moneo:
Sourceforge sources are hosted in different "mirrors" around the world. Normally the download page orders mirrors for you (based on host load, randomly?). If the first mirror does'nt work for you or is too slow, you are free to choose whatever one you prefer. I think you can lock your browser to your prefered mirror too.

Being in Spain, I am always proposed mirrors in Belgium or in the UK...

Antoni
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 11:34:51 PM »

Antoni,

Thanks for helping.

Ok, I tried the mirror selections for Phoenix, Chapel Hill, NC, Atlanta and New York. They keep giving me a message saying "Could not read file".

When I hit "Go back" it presents a page with a heading of "Parent Directory" with a table of meaningless names like soap-xxxx.

So I exit and get into www.freebasic.net and try again. I've tried about 10 times.

What am I doing wrong?

P.S.: I'm gonna give up until tomorrow.
ShadowWolf
Wandering Guru

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 11:48:17 PM »

http://www.hot.ee/fbide/idefbc033a.exe

dl this is from FBIDE homepage it a package release of FBIDE and freebasic compiler.

also has a installer and will set up FBide for you.
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 10:57:33 PM »

Thanks ShadowWolf,

Does that mean that I will have to work in the IDE by default? I'd rather not use the IDE if possible. I assume I can run the compiler directly, no?

Is this version the one that runs under Windows? That's the one I want.

I'm sure you understand that I don't want to download it and set it all up, only to discover that it's not the package I want.

Thanks again.
Sterling Christensen
Na_th_an

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 11:22:47 PM »

Yes it's the Windows version, and yes, the compiler is separate from the IDE and usable without the IDE.

About freebasic's download page, what happens if you click on this link here?
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/fbc/freeBASIC-v0.11b-win32.zip
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 11:39:25 PM »

Thanks, Sterling, but that link doesn't work either.
First it goes to PerfectNav.
I hit Back, and it goes to a sourceforge page that says "Could not read the file".
Tried again, and then the "back" doesn't work out of PerfectNav.

Gee, I hope the FB compiler works better than the download capabilities.
steven_basic

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 12:01:13 AM »

Quote from: "Moneo"
First it goes to PerfectNav.

I would uninstall PerfectNav.  I'm betting that it is the main problem with being able to download.

ature has its way of warning a person away from danger:  The distinct black and white coloration on a skunk, the chilling buzz of a rattlesanke, a redneck handing you his beer and saying "Watch this!"
Sterling Christensen
Na_th_an

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 10:01:15 AM »

I did a quick google search, and it looks like PerfectNav is spyware and can interfere with normal web browsing and downloading! Sounds like that's what's happening here.

PerfectNav doesn't appear to do anything useful... Why do you have it installed?
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 12:54:13 AM »

Sterling,
I finally got a download.
Unziping the download created a bunch of files in my FreeBasic directory.
How do you compile a program?
I read the readme file, the help-me file and the doc files. Nothing says how to operate the thing. I even tried running the FBC.EXE file, but nothing happens.
It probably assumes you're going to use an IDE, which I don't want. So how do you compile without an IDE?
H-E-L-P!
whitetiger0990
__/--\__

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 01:09:33 AM »

1) Go to command line
2) find your way to the freebasic dir
3) type fbc
4) that is the compiler. it has switches and stuff, you can make a bas file and then compile it with fbc.

[size=10]Back by popular demand!
I will byte and nibble you bit by bit until nothing remains but crumbs.[/size]
Sterling Christensen
Na_th_an

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 03:32:42 AM »

For example:
Code:
cd the\directory\that\fbc.exe\is\in
edit myBasFile.bas
fbc myBasFile.bas
myBasFile.exe
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 11:52:27 AM »

That's what I do to install last FreeBASIC version:

1.- Download it from sourceforge. Moneo: as mentioned, Sourceforge works perfectly and you are getting problems 'cause you have spyware in you system that doesn't let you browse normally. Sourceforge, as mentioned as well, is mirrored in many places. That means that the files hosted by sourceforge are copied to different servers in different locations. As sourceforge has a huge volume of downloading, that's done so if you can't download from a server, you can try another.

2.- Once downloaded, unpack it respecting directory structure. This is very important.

3.- Then I set up my path system variable. I add <fB dir>, <fB dir>\inc, <fB dir>\bin, <fB dir>\lib to the system path. As I don't like to bloat my system variables, I make this using a BAT file which I call before I'm going to work with the compiler:

Code:
@echo off
set path=%path%;c:\freeBASIC;c:\freeBASIC\inc;c:\freeBASIC\lib;c:\freeBASIC\bin

That way I can call fbc from anywhere.

4.- Now I'm ready to go. I go to my program's folder, and call the compiler from there. fbc is very easy to use and a fbc without parameters shows a list of them. But most of the time it will be just a matter of:

Code:
fbc myprog.bas

Which will compile myprog.bas into myprog.o and then link it to the RTL producing myprog.exe, all automaticly. You have switches to stop the process at the creation of the .o file and stuff like that.

To compile a project with several bas files you just do:

Code:
fbc mainmodule.bas secondmodule.bas thirdmodule.bas

To include a library file:

Code:
fbc mainmodule.bas secondmodule.bas -l library1.a

etcetera. Mind you that this is a 32 bits compiler so old libraries written for 16 bits DOS (i.e. .LIBs used with QB) won't work.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 05:36:05 PM »

Whitey, Sterling, Nathan,

You all mention operating from the MSDOS command-line.

I thought this was the version that runs under Windows, and therefore did not use or need MSDOS.

Do I have the wrong version? Do I have the Windows version or the 32 bit MSDOS version? How can I tell the difference?

The reason I want the Windows version is because at work they have inhibited PC's from using MSDOS; that is, you can't get to the command-line, period. If you try to run a DOS program directly, you get an error message saying that 16 bit programs are not allowed. I'm sure other companies have done the same for security reasons.
Sterling Christensen
Na_th_an

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 06:48:33 PM »

If there is "win32" in the name of the file you downloaded, it's the Windows version. Even the Windows version of fbc.exe is text only, like a DOS program.

Here's an alternative way to use it:
1. create a .bas file
2. drag the .bas file on to fbc.exe
an exe should appear.

The problem with this method is that if fbc couldn't compile it for some reason, you won't know why. Normally it would PRINT something to explain what's wrong, but you won't see that.

To use it properly (and not miss out on error messages) you're going to need either an IDE or the command prompt.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: