Qbasicnews.com
September 18, 2019, 08:21:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: freeBASIC (a 32-bit QB-syntax compatible compiler) preview..  (Read 152108 times)
Plasma
Na_th_an

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2004, 10:52:39 AM »

Quote from: "Blitz"
But once it has compiled itself this limitation will be gone.
adosorken
*/-\*

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2004, 12:35:12 PM »

I read that already, knucklehead. :evil: I was just offering an alternate (and frankly, better) solution. Cheesy

I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
Plasma
Na_th_an

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2004, 02:08:42 PM »

Then you should have realized that they already have a better solution, which is compiling the compiler with itself once it gets advanced enough. There is no need for a newer version of VB.
adosorken
*/-\*

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2004, 02:32:33 PM »

It is more of a disadvantage to use a compiler to compile itself. It makes more sense to use an existing compiler to compile a new compiler. So the better solution is not the one they are using. But hey, what do I know, I'm just a hack, right? :roll:

VonGodric
Ancient Guru

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2004, 02:48:21 PM »

Heh there uis the existing compiler: VBDos :lol:

url]http://fbide.sourceforge.net/[/url]
aetherfox
Been there, done that

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2004, 03:39:54 PM »

Calm down guys,

Nek's right here, I think.

We aren't in the 70's where there weren't any options but to compile a compiler in the only existing compuiler which was compiled but compiling some compilable machine code.

Or something.

Why not use a proper, advanced and better compiler?  Maybe not something in the C range, but the newer VB's are perfectly fine, and you should have almost no work to do when porting what you alred have.

But, victor...props for a very very cool project.

~''i|~thrFx~|i''~-  
avinash.vora - http://www.avinashv.net
Blitz
I hold this place together

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2004, 03:43:24 PM »

Nope, actually vb is too bulk. It's too much and does not have the features freebasic has. VB is quite different in someways. But freebasic on the other hand is qb on steriods. 100% compatible. Besides, any real compiler should be able to compile itself. If it can't, well then it's not very useful. And vb has royalties.

oship me and i will give you lots of guurrls and beeea
adosorken
*/-\*

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2004, 03:50:46 PM »

VB doesn't have royalties. I've been using it commercially for 4 years now and haven't ever paid a single royalty to Microsoft, nor have they asked for any (and they know I develop in both VB and VC). I don't see why VB would be considered "bulky", but hey...to each their own...

potato
Ancient QBer

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2004, 04:36:18 PM »

Quote from: "barok"
one last question:  will traditional libraries be compatible with fb?  (cosmox, rellib, gslib, etc. etc.)

what if i tried my game (QB plus RelGFX pureQB routines)
?

Not complicated at all, it's ALL QB. would any regular SCreen 13 game work as is?

ammit potato!
Blitz

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2004, 05:11:27 PM »

Yes, if it doesn't do any os specific stuff. Becuase it's not the same os. It will compile fine, but it will crash cuz you're doing dos stuff in windows.

v3cz0r

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2004, 01:18:31 AM »

Well it's being done in VBDOS because it's the closest to the compiler's syntax, meaning it will be easier to get FB to compile itself, ie: not a single source-code change - well, not 100%, there are two DEF SEG's that must be commented out.

2000 symbols are enough to get it to compile, there's no more than ~1000 procs/consts/etc being used at same time, as i divided everything in modules, i guess that will be okay, we will see.. if not, using VB just to get it compile will be the last resource.

When running as a win32 app, there will be no limits on number of symbols or whatever, arrays will be redimensioned if needed.

You will be able to use Rellib if Rel write a Windows port ;).

Btw, Stearling, read my PM :P

Everybody will be welcome to test it when it gets released, but please, make your bug reports the more descriptive you can ;)

If anyone want to talk about the project, join the #badlogic irc channel at irc.efnet.net.. cyaz

potato
Ancient QBer

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2004, 01:30:49 AM »

it's relgfx, not the lib

it uses regular screen 13 GET and PUT, writing to an array buffer and putting the buffer onto the screen.

would that work?

ammit potato!
barok
Na_th_an

How about a tasty lead sandwich?

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2004, 03:33:04 AM »

As long as it's pure qb i'm guessing it'll work... pure qb meaning any command you can use in qb without using a library.   this rocks, cuz it'll mean my game will be able to port directly to fb with no recoding anything, and not to mention the program'll get a nice speed and memory boost to boot. Cheesy  Sometimes it's nice to make stuff in pure qb. Wink  

Also, are you improving some of the commands?  Like, what rel did for put ala superput? (allow transparency, clipping, maybe even drawing to a buffer, etc. etc.)

Jumping Jahoolipers!
Blitz

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2004, 06:50:15 AM »

It will only work if it doesn't use any dos specific stuff. And most pure qb stuff uses very dos specific stuff to be "fast". Why would you need all that. In windows you have opengl, directx, sdl and 100s of other libs. Many libs use hardware acceleration.

marzecTM
Ancient Guru

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2004, 07:34:29 AM »

as v3c said: "hey why don't you port dqb" hehe....

all this funny screen, line, pset and stuff... hm, i already suggested to do that part with sdl. like doing a wrapper. dunno wheter this should get part of the runtimelib. i guess having something like an externel lib for qb compatibility would be neat too, since you could extend it yourself. like '$include: 'pureqb.bi' hehe...

quote="NecrosIhsan"]

[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: