Qbasicnews.com
November 20, 2019, 05:33:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you mind having ads on the main site???  (Voting closed: October 19, 2004, 02:08:16 PM)
Yes - 8 (29.6%)
No - 15 (55.6%)
Yes but not google ads - 4 (14.8%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Ads on the main site  (Read 14135 times)
Neo
Na_th_an

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 08:33:58 AM »

I'm not a big fan of advertisements, but I wouldn't mind if there would be advertisements here.

Also, option #2 is ridiculous, please never put advertisements above and below your logo... In option #1 however, I didn't even see advertisements... Wink
Pete
Ancient QBer

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2004, 10:04:38 AM »

Here's a strategy I've seen used by sites in the past:
You can create a specific "ads" page, and ask people on the message forum to click on them voluntarily, instead of intrusively putting them on the forum or the main page.   If you wrote a little bit about how you need clicks to keep this site alive, etc., etc., you'd probably get  more clicks.  (Also, I'm sure there are some younger, more dedicated QBers here that would go "click crazy".....the excited new QB types that post things in the wrong forums and can't spell would probably be very dedicated clickers.)

Face it -- these days, banner ads are like digital furniture.  You don't notice them, and you sure as hell don't click them.  I myself haven't clicked a banner ad since about 1999.  (Except for those damn "Punch The Monkey!" ones... those ones are too fun to pass up!)

On the other hand, you could also set up a PayPal account for QBasic News and have people voluntarily donate money.

HQSneaker
Wandering Guru

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 01:26:25 PM »

Neo, aindex --> at the bottom. bindex --> below the logo
Neo
Na_th_an

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2004, 02:37:25 PM »

Yeah, I knew where the advertisements in bindex.php were, but I don't know where they were in aindex.php. Now I see Wink
TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2004, 11:43:25 AM »

neo you have sight but you dont have vision =P.
Neo
Na_th_an

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2004, 11:55:47 AM »

No, I see it now Tongue I had my ad-blocker on Wink
Rhiannon
Been there, done that

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2004, 12:09:36 AM »

Quote from: "Pete"
n the other hand, you could also set up a PayPal account for QBasic News and have people voluntarily donate money.

Good idea. Why don't you give us an idea of how much you are spending, and it'll encourage people to donate.  I'm sure everyone can donate something, even if it's a dollar every three months or something. Smiley

igitalblackie.com - Done! Smiley Ask about our hosting Wink

-Goddess of the of the No More Religion Threads movement Smiley
wildcard
*.*
Administrator
__/--\__

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2004, 06:21:33 AM »

I don't really feel comfortable having a donating bit on qbasicnews.com. But its ok, a lot has changed since I started this thread.
TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2004, 07:23:37 AM »

Wildcard, no harm putting it up. Some rich old crazy guy might donate a few millions some day Wink. Anyway, I like the idea of ads. But please no popups =).
KiZ
__/--\__

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2004, 06:07:38 PM »

And it's unfair if you, Wildcard are paying for the host which we all then use, far more frequently than you do....   So I would say that none of us have a right to tell you that we dont want ads on the main site. I mean, its easy for us to say, we arent paying for the site.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2004, 09:09:06 AM »

If they help paying the bills, add them ASAP. I will just not look at them Cheesy

Just try that they don't fuck up the layout.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
wildcard
*.*
Administrator
__/--\__

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2004, 10:13:00 AM »

As said before I'm not going with google ads or any banner/popup ads on the site or forums. Theres no major financial problems here, I was just thinking/testing out different possibilities. When some of the additions come in I may fix up the book section and the like.

Anyone up for some qbnews tshirts  :lol:
Ruudboy
Ancient Guru

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2004, 11:18:27 AM »

you could join the amazon affilate scheme

url=http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=79][/url]
Mech1031
Na_th_an

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2004, 11:22:53 AM »

QBasic News T-shirts?!  WHERE?!

there was a point where i would say that, but not so much now.  I really don't see the problem with ads on the main site, like anybody visits it anymore (right?  I just go strait to the forum).  back to the T-shirts bit, if its something your seriously considering, don't use cafepress.com, they suck. i know from experience.

-Jim

the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
Z!re
*/-\*

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2004, 01:02:30 PM »

Ads are fine, but not google ads.

(The poll is a bit hard to understand though, I voted: "Yes, but not google ads"... and I hope it means what i said above.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: