Qbasicnews.com
November 28, 2021, 12:42:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: How big tiles would you make with a spriteeditor?  (Voting closed: June 01, 2002, 08:02:02 PM)
32x32 nah - 3 (100%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sprite Editor Poll Question  (Read 8953 times)
Joakim

« on: June 01, 2002, 08:02:02 PM »

note: I mean, you can choose from 0x0 to (32x32, 64x64 or 128x128) eg, user defined sizes, but UP to that size
As some of you may have noticed, I'm developing a sprite editor (goto qbrpgs.com in the projects section to read about it), and I'd like to get an answer to this question. Please answer honest and only one time, thank you Smiley
toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2002, 10:56:53 PM »

i would want it to have user defined sprite sizes.  i would also expect a tile view, mouse controls, gif and bmp support, anti-aliased drawing tools, and a variety of other features if i were to stop using mspaint.

i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
mike

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2002, 04:17:13 AM »

and a cool feature would also be zoom feature... have u seen QBpaint and SPRITE16 I like those they are great ones to look at.. but if u can make it so i saves the sprite in a DATA readabl txt file so u can coppy and paste into the code that would be cool..but I think the set sizes are too limiting and user defined are better.....or a choice for all 3...not that we're asking alot  :wink:  :lol:
Joakim

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2002, 06:00:43 AM »

Duh! I didn't explain myself vary well then lol.

I ment the biggest size avalible. Of course it's user definable.
And I'll see what I can do about the antialized drawing tools Smiley
Forum Regular

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2002, 03:13:30 PM »

anti-aliasing for sprites? doesn't seem necessary. o_O
Joakim

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2002, 04:04:03 PM »

You don't want it?
Ok then I'll trash it.

NO! Tongue I won't. It's no biggie, and you never know if you'll use it.
Besides, somebody told me that he would demand aa if he should start using this program instead of his current. I actually thought that you were the one, but heheh, aparently you weren't Wink
Forum Regular

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2002, 07:44:28 PM »

I'm not saying not to do it, its best to include everything you can, but I don't understand why they would use aa for such small images, where you can control every pixel with little hassle.

o_O

maybe someone can tell me?

I was surprised though. I thought you actually decided to drop the idea. :lol:  <--- thats supposed to be laughter, by the way. O_O
_Bill_
Wandering Guru

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2002, 07:50:01 PM »

Would that be real-time AA? If so how,QB is very slow. If not could you explain it a little more?

o, let me get this straight.  You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you are completely sane?! -A.J. Rimmer
Joakim

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2002, 07:38:17 AM »

It's not that slow. AA is not vary slow, it's just a rumor. It *can* swallow up a lot of memory for the Transcluency you gotta use for aa, but not with RelLib which I'm using. No problem.
I meen, it's real time aa, but remember, it's only called when you draw something on the sprite. Uh... is that real time? Anyways it doesn't matter. AA is cool Smiley
wizardlife
Na_th_an

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2002, 09:52:12 PM »

I think he means like the ability to draw a diagonal line with in automatically interpolating the inbetween pixels so that it looks smooth even in crap resolution. This sort of feature is important in console games and low-res PC game, because it can everything look a lot cleaner.

But you don't do it in realtime. You do it when you're building your sprites. It's possible manually, but much faster with automatic features.

As far as tile size, are you trying to make a sprite builder or a paint program? If a sprite builder, then 32x32 is plenty. If a paint program, then all the way up to... hell... 1024x768.  Smiley

Joakim

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2002, 05:56:59 AM »

Yeah, that was what I ment Smiley
I'll leave it at 128x128, because oh well... That's also plenty Tongue And it wouldn't be easy to change it back now. But you can select any size between 1x1 and 128x128 you'd like of course Smiley
_Bill_
Wandering Guru

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2002, 11:29:13 PM »

What kind of AA were you planning to impliment? Super sampling, mulit sampling, or the new Accuview mode that the GeForce4 video card uses?

o, let me get this straight.  You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you are completely sane?! -A.J. Rimmer
Joakim

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2002, 07:17:17 AM »

Ok, I'm not into such details and the whole aa deal you're talking about.
The only thing I'm doing is blurring the picture right around the dot/line/box you're drawing.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2002, 01:41:54 PM »

A sprites editor should be 'sprite-set' oriented, not 'single-sprite' oriented. I never used sprite editor 'cause I could only edit a sprite at a time so I prefer a painting program and draw all my sprites on a bigger image. If the sprite editor would be 'sprite-set' oriented it would be fine, 'cause you could have the hability to copy a sprite slot into another and perform different tasks. Also, it would be fine to be able to draw a new sprite having a previous one below, like drawing in transparent paper (like in flash) to make animations.

Just some ideas  Cool

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Joakim

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2002, 06:47:54 PM »

Well, it is... kinda.
If you're really interested:
joakim.qbrpgs.com/files/SPRITE.EXE
Smiley
Pages: [1]