Qbasicnews.com
February 22, 2020, 07:39:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Differences Between QBasic and QuickBasic?  (Read 7016 times)
Frobozz
Forum Regular

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 03:43:03 PM »

Last time I checked (just now) it seems the QBX IDE offers compiling for either near or far strings.  Now maybe that's different for the libraries but I doubt it.

I prefer 7.1 over 4.5 for the extra keywords it has.  As an example the keyword PRESERVE which lets you resize arrays while not losing the contents of them.  This isn't very useful though once you start using memory libraries. :wink:
Plasma
Na_th_an

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 08:12:19 PM »

You can force PDS to use near strings when compiling, but you can't use them when running in the IDE.
DrV
Na_th_an

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2004, 06:25:23 PM »

UGL works with PDS, as well as VBDOS.  DirectQB only works with near strings. Fut.LIB works with PDS. RelLib doesn't afaik, but I haven't tried... Rel? Smiley  If people would read the UGL source, they would discover wonderful things like the STRGET macro, which allows string access to work with near or far strings without any changes except a preprocessor define when assembling.

PDS's compiler uses near strings by default; if the /Fs arg is passed, it uses far strings.

EDIT: and VBDOS always uses far strings no matter what
relsoft
*/-\*

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2004, 03:47:06 AM »

Rellib's routine that uses Strings will certainly *not* work on PDS.  but if enough people shout... Cheesy

y smiley is 24 bit.

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2004, 09:15:00 AM »

WAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHA

(shout).

(I want to use VBDOS and RELLIB 5).

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Jonathan Simpson
Forum Regular

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2004, 10:31:28 AM »

[insert loud and irritating shout here]
VBDOS rocks.  Try the time/date stuff.

onathan Simpson
DrV
Na_th_an

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2004, 11:43:34 AM »

I'll shout quietly.

RELLIB NEEDS FAR STRINGS

It's not overly difficult to write the code, either, 'specially if you nab it from UGL or whatever. Plus, far strings allow more space in the default data segment for random useless variables. Smiley
NovaProgramming
Been there, done that

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2004, 02:48:42 PM »

Quote from: "DrV"
I'll shout quietly.

RELLIB NEEDS FAR STRINGS

LoL, VERY quietly indeed.

ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls.  The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote from: "Haye, Phillip J."
 Excellent.  Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------
DrV
Na_th_an

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2004, 02:57:58 PM »

...but it's in uppercase, so it's still shouting.  :bounce:

I'd be willing to help convert RELLIB routines for use with far strings if you'd like, rel, although I'm prolly gonna be on less soon because I'll have to go back to school in a month or so. Sad
Dr_Davenstein
Na_th_an

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2004, 06:59:13 PM »

GROWL!!!!!!

I don't see any reason not to. Wink
relsoft
*/-\*

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2004, 12:36:18 AM »

Okay. PDS and VBDOS ver would be included. :*)

y smiley is 24 bit.

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
Antoni Gual
Na_th_an

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2004, 04:25:08 AM »

About the original question:
QBasic s a downgraded QB with:
-No External Libraries (only CALL ABSOLUTE for inline assembler)
-No Modular programming
-No Compiling
-No Command line parameter passing (COMMAND$ keyword)
-The execution speed is one half of QB interpreted
-Memory usage (source+variables) is limited to 160K

Antoni
BeaglepackGP

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2004, 11:04:26 AM »

Thanks, Antoni, and to everyone else who helped out with this question.  We've had a lot of really great replies, and also really great information.  It's been a very interesting conversation.

I thought everyone might be interested in a free ebook that I found at the following site:  http://www.ethanwiner.com[url].  It's called, "PC Magazine's BASIC Techniques and Utilities," by Ethan Winer.  The whole book can be downloaded free (475 pages), in PDF format.  The book covers the whole history of QuickBasic, way back to BASCOM 1.0, and that history should answer everyone's questions (I hope).

Here's a quote from the Introduction:  "Although the emphasis here is on Microsoft QuickBASIC and the BASIC professional Development System (PDS), much of the information will apply to other BASIC compilers such as Power Basic from Spectra Publishing."

I've only had time to read through the intro so far, but it looks like a really good book.  Of course, it might be too basic for some of you guys, but I hope someone will find it helpful.

One more question from me:  Does anyone know if BASIC PDS can be downloaded free?  I've searched, but I haven't found any downloads that are free?  I'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me whether or not this is freeware, and if so, please let me know where I can download it from.

Thanks again, to everyone who contributed to the original question.  It was great!

Regards,
Anthony

John 1-1:  "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
Plasma
Na_th_an

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2004, 11:53:21 AM »

It is not "freeware", but it can be downloaded for free: http://www.download-qb.tk
BeaglepackGP

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2004, 02:42:12 PM »

Ah!!  Great, thanks for the tip.

Best Regards,
Anthony

John 1-1:  "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: