Qbasicnews.com
October 14, 2019, 10:39:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I drew a dog...'s head  (Read 6546 times)
Mech1031
Na_th_an

« on: May 07, 2004, 05:24:22 PM »

I was real bored today so i took out trusty MS Paint and pixelated a dog.  i have two versions of it:

^Color Version

^Black and White Version

I would like a structured crituiqe, so anybody who feels it necessary to say it looks like crap and not tell me why, don't bother posting.

the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
speedlemon
I hold this place together

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 06:01:07 PM »

cool. it reminds me of the dog on the covers of a series of books calleed hank the cowdog.  Smiley  what can i say, except good job.
Z!re
*/-\*

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 06:30:33 PM »

Very nice =)

The mouth should go further towards the head. (ie: it souhld be longer, bigger)

Lower lip should go further out, just a bit.

I like the colored version the best =)
Mech1031
Na_th_an

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 06:50:37 PM »

there.  and now the eye is a bit more realistic on the colored one too.  anybody else with a suggestion?

the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
speedlemon

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 11:16:02 AM »

i think its cool that you can sit down and make a picture of a dog.
Ancient Guru

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 05:36:43 PM »

I think it looks like crap...crap brown ;P  j/k

I agree with Z!re, the mouth doesn't extend far enough back.  The mouth should end about where the eyes begin, however, dogs can make that face (my shepard does when she's scratching her cheek), it's not a 'natual' pose.

Life is like a box of chocolates', hrm, WTF, no it isn't, more like, 'life is like a steaming pile of horse crap.'
aardvark

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 08:08:51 AM »

How, exactly, does one go about drawing something?  I sat down once and tried to copy a picture of a vase from a book by just kind of... tracing it without actually tracing it, if you know what I mean (which you probably don't because it's explained very badly).  The collection of lines and squiggles looked kind of like random scratches on glass or something.  So how, excactly, do people produce pictures?

In a race between a rock and a pig, don't varnish your clams."   -- "Dilbert"
Mech1031
Na_th_an

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 04:51:48 PM »

unfortunately my freind, art is more or less a gift.  sure you can take a class on it, but you never be as good as some people who have never had a class in their life.  when i produce a picture, i set up a little 'stuido', so to speak.  it consist of a desklamp, my laptop, enlarged photos and normal photos, a whole mess of different pencils (prisma mostly), water colors, acryllics, and all that jazz.  You just have to keep at it though.  a picture may start out looking terrible, but you just have to keep going and soon it will look amazing.

speedlemon

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 07:02:52 PM »

Quote from: "Mech1031"
[...]it will look amazing.

you mean... like like your dog?  :bounce:
what he means to say is, never give up, and keep practicing. one day, you will be an excellent artist. :wink:
Mech1031
Na_th_an

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 09:02:40 PM »

you mean... like like your dog?  
what he means to say is, never give up, and keep practicing. one day, you will be an excellent artist.

Speedlemon:
and that is exactly what i said.  just because you didn't understand what i meant doesn't mean that he didn't.  like i said in my other post, please do not reply to any more of my posts, i find you more or less a neuciance and a burden than help of any kind.  I'm sorry things didn't work out...

na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 10:00:34 PM »

Quote from: "Mech1031"
unfortunately my freind, art is more or less a gift.  sure you can take a class on it, but you never be as good as some people who have never had a class in their life.  when i produce a picture, i set up a little 'stuido', so to speak.  it consist of a desklamp, my laptop, enlarged photos and normal photos, a whole mess of different pencils (prisma mostly), water colors, acryllics, and all that jazz.  You just have to keep at it though.  a picture may start out looking terrible, but you just have to keep going and soon it will look amazing.

I don't think it's a gift at all.

I can draw 'cause I am holding a pencil since I was 2 years old, and that makes 23 years of praticing.

It has to do with creativity, visual perception/understanding and stuff like that, but only practicing you learn to draw.

The difference between people who can draw and who can't is that people who can draw began drawing when they were young children and kept with that 'cause they liked it. Just that.

Music is different. A composer's brain is different, it has more and different connections between left and right lobules so analysis and synthesis combine better to produce music. But this doesn't happen to people who can draw.

It is just a matter of teaching your hand to obey you + spatial capacity.

And I think (by experience) that if a picture looks bad in the beginning, better throw it away and start over. Patch over patch trying to "fix" a picture make a pastiche.

But meh, I am just a comics drawer Tongue

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Z!re
*/-\*

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 10:18:10 PM »

[semi-offtopic]
Nath, would it be possible to have translated versions of your comics?

They look cool, too bad I can't figure out what they say, at all..
[/semi-offtopic]

Programming is a gift, no wait, no it's not.
You learn programming. But that does not mean you are a good programmer.
Just because you know every command in QB inside out does not make you capable of actually using them to something good.
It's your ability to place them in their context, and use them in combination with other commands that make the program.
And then you have even more thinking to do, what program should you make, how should you do it, is here a better way.

Programming is hard. You learn it, but that does not mean you can do it.

Art on the other hand, you learn it, and then you can do it?

Everyone can draw, for example, I can daw a circle.
It's a circle, so? I can draw, and I just did, the fact that you don't like my drawing has nothing to do with it.

Drawing a tree for example, I might draw a tree like a stick with a green ball on it.

While you might draw it as the trunk, with lots of twigs.

And asdfgh might focus on the leafs.

So, how would drawing be a gift if noone can say how it should be done?

You learn drawing? No, you learn to draw like other people want you to draw.

Everybody can draw, not everyone can draw like other people want them to.

*Z!re blames society for everything these days*
Mech1031
Na_th_an

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 10:46:11 PM »

Z!re:
i did not mean, if you can't draw the mona lisa than you can't draw at all.  you are right in the sense of art is an aquired taste.  but what i am talking about is wether you can draw it so it comes out like you want it too.  for instance:

I want to draw a tiger.
I try to draw a tiger, but it doesn't come out anywhere near i wanted it to.
In otherwords, It is a faliure by my own standards.

for someone who can draw:

I want to draw a tiger
I try to draw a tiger, and it comes out great.
it is a success by my own standards.

so what i'm trying to say is, I draw for myself, and i try to improve my skills so oneday, i might get paid for drawing (for myself).

Hexadecimal Disaster
Been there, done that

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 12:47:51 AM »

Quote from: "na_th_an"
I can draw 'cause I am holding a pencil since I was 2 years old

Talent.

and that makes 23 years of praticing.

Polished talent.

It is just a matter of teaching your hand to obey you + spatial capacity.

Therefore, anyone can't be an illustrator. You can train and train, but if you lack the perception *and* the talent you'll suck no matter how many times you try. Same with music. The musical ear can be trained, but there are people that are beyond hope in that department.  Tongue

Art is something kinda mysterious, you know.  Cool

img]http://usuarios.vtr.net/~disaster/sigs/annoyizer.php[/img]
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 08:02:02 AM »

What I meant is that there is not a special quality who will "make you draw". People with creativity and spatial capacity may or may not learn to draw. Being good at the two previous things doesn't mean that if when you are 15 you take a pencil for the first time you are gonna know how to draw. You have to practice in order to learn. Sure: it will be easier for you 'cause space is better understood in your head, but you need the "ability" in your hands, that is not given. For example, I can't barely make a tie and I am extremely dumb with my hands, I never liked manual work at school and I am horrible in that, but I can play many instruments and draw just 'cause I practiced.

Music is different. You can have musical ear, so you could be a good interpretator, playing greatly your instrument. You also need training.

But you can have a "compositor's" mind, which does not need such amount of training. Compositors are gifted. Surely you need to know some musical theory to compose properly, but you can also compose without it.

Btw, nice to talk to you again, HD.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: