Qbasicnews.com
February 23, 2020, 10:46:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Evolutionary Algorithims  (Read 8083 times)
qbiscool

« on: March 06, 2004, 01:45:03 AM »

I was wondering if anybody knew how to write a genetic algorithim or a evolutionary algorithm. I need help becuase i am interested in writing AI and need to know what i need to write it.

If any body knows any good tutorials that i could read on it please tell me

pen your other eyes.........
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 01:49:15 AM »

I think what you are referring to is heuristic programming, which means that the program "learns" from previous experiences. You're right, AI would be the place to read up on this. I've just heard about it but have no experience.
qbiscool

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 01:51:49 AM »

Thank you. I have some expierence writing them but would like to know what the best thing to write them is in(ie. C++, ASM, Batch)

na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 01:56:27 AM »

Well, the most suited languages for learning AI are PROLOG and LISP. This is a wide area, and very interesting. I suggest you to download a prolog interpreter, learn the basics, and then go for AI.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 01:58:02 AM »

I don't think the language will matter. I suggest you use whatever language you are most proficient in, so you can concentrate on the problem and not be hampered with the language.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 01:59:33 AM »

Nah, LISP and PROLOG are specially designed to learn AI. I mean, everything is solved, you just have to code what's needed. You don't have to hassle with data types and stuff you need to build an AI system using another language (a procedural or object oriented language). PROLOG is a predicative language: you set up predicates. You tell the interpreter what to do but not how, if that makes sense.

qbiscool

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 02:00:20 AM »

Sorry na_th_an but i agree with moneo. i have never even heard of PROLOG and LITH and i like qbasic the best.

maybe later i will try PROLOG

na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 02:01:57 AM »

Okay, do what you like. But you'll understand the pain to code a minimax algorithm and a A* search in QB, when it is done in 20 lines of code using PROLOG. You have to code a tree structure and lots of recursive functions... No way Tongue

I've studied lots of AI at college. We use PROLOG, LISP and CLIPs 'cause you go directly to what you want to do.

You can do a natural language interpreter which learns and asks you in 40-50 lines of code using PROLOG, for example.

qbiscool

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 02:03:47 AM »

have you ever coded any AI before na_th_an(ie. used PROLOG)
or used qbasic to do it

na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 02:06:05 AM »

I've coded what's called a "WHY/WHERE/WHEN/WHAT" interpreter. It knows some facts, and asks about complementary info. You reply using natural language (well, sorta). Then it learns and uses the aquired knowledge to keep learning.

I coded it for an exam, I mean, you sat on the computer and coded it in 1 hour. It had to work for you to pass Tongue

qbiscool

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2004, 02:09:38 AM »

cool exam(all of ours are just written tests). Were can i find a Prolog interpeter(I googled it and couldnt find it).

Ya and im interested in knowing what a WERE/WHAT/WHEN/WHY interpeter is.

na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2004, 02:12:29 AM »

That was on our last chapter, so I guess it is advanced stuff. You should learn the basics first. I'll try to dig for info and tutorials, just keep tuned.

A good prolog interpreter (free) is SWI Prolog. It has a Windows port that works fairly well. http://www.swi-prolog.org/

Frobozz
Forum Regular

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2004, 02:15:48 AM »

Quote from: "qbiscool"
cool exam(all of ours are just written tests). Were can i find a Prolog interpeter(I googled it and couldnt find it).

Ya and im interested in knowing what a WERE/WHAT/WHEN/WHY interpeter is.

You might want to try here:
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~diaz/gnu-prolog/

Edit:  Darn...  three minutes slow.  Tongue
qbiscool

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2004, 02:28:08 AM »

Has anybody ever read the book prey(great book). That book was what made me want to start AI. i was wondering if prolog could write evolutionary algorithims.

Kinda like making a program and then running it and everytime it is run due to different random circumstances the outcome is always different. that is probaly realy advanced but that is were i want to end up.

Or maybe using low level intellegence(like birds flocking is a result of all the birds thinking "stay close to the bird next to you but dont bump into them) to write a AI program and just see were it takes you.

Please tell me if any of this is possible and if it is hard to do.

PS. How do you spell algorithm

R@dioman
Ancient QBer

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2004, 03:35:49 AM »

I don't think true AI would ever be possible the way we're going at it. AI can't be coded because you'll never know if the conscienceness you created is an outcome of many conditional statements that recieves data and outputs it in ways we can understand. The being would have to learn about its surroundings from the begining like we humans have done since birth. But who knows, maybe we are simply an automaton where our conscienceness can be mapped out in one gigantic flow chart.

qbiscool: Yes, I think that is how you spell algorithm

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: