Qbasicnews.com
October 18, 2019, 10:14:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition to Microsoft  (Read 28470 times)
Zack
*/-\*

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2004, 04:08:45 PM »

Because they don't give a rats arse about QB. The outcome of this will be either Yes (unlikely) or No.

f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Plasma
Na_th_an

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2004, 04:27:37 PM »

Quote from: "red_Marvin"
Signed. Why can't I view the list? It only says:
Name Comments Which of the BASIC line of products do you use?

11 Total Signatures

View Signatures : 11    

Also Just a thought what if MS decides to start an enormous lawsuit
against all those on the list, for illegal use of copyrighted products?

Your browser isn't returning a referrer...try turning off your firewall temporarily.
Silent-Death
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2004, 06:47:29 PM »

About that thing you said about trying to contact everyone we can to sign the pention... I'm subscibed to a mag. called PC Gamer. Want me to wright a letter asking people for support?
barok
Na_th_an

How about a tasty lead sandwich?

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2004, 09:25:51 PM »

yes! all the merrier!

Jumping Jahoolipers!
LooseCaboose
I hold this place together

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2004, 12:56:50 AM »

Quote from: "aetherfox"

You guys know anyone on slashdot?

It is free to sign up to Slashdot and anyone can submit news or ask Slashdot. I have posted on a few of the articles there.

Quote from: "na_th_an"

Let's make this. If Microsoft gives a @^$ about some 1,000s of users this will be a great success.

Quote from: "aetherfox"

I think its a big change. For me, I will be using something legal. That makes a difference. Microsoft is showing care. That makes a difference. Bring the community as one. Thats a difference

I did say it was my personal opinion, but it would be nice to be able to use the compilers legally. However all I see happening if Microsoft agree to this, is that the compilers license will be changed to freeware and no more. I dont think Microsoft are going to start supporting the products, release the source code (Microsoft are still making money of Basic products) or anything major like that. For most of us the situation will be the same (IMHO).

Edit: I did sign the petition, because I am a supporter of the QB community.

esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
aetherfox
Been there, done that

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2004, 06:54:31 AM »

hmmm

enormous lawsuit?

it scares me...

my info is up there...

ah shit.

~''i|~thrFx~|i''~-  
avinash.vora - http://www.avinashv.net
Blitz

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2004, 07:03:38 AM »

Let's say they do release the source, what are you going to do with it? Expand on it? Port it to pmode? Just look at the source for qbasic 1.1, by the time you've figured out how it works you could have written your own from scratch. Nah, the source is useless. And this freeware thing, who cares if you download an illegal copy? M$ certainly don't.

oship me and i will give you lots of guurrls and beeea
R@dioman
Ancient QBer

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2004, 08:05:10 AM »

Blitz has a point. Are there any coders out there skillfull enough to understand the complexity of QB's source code and expand from that? They would have to restructurize the whole thing from near scratch. I'm sure it's doable but with technology expanding very rapidly, QB, I'm afraid, is doomed for extinction. Sad  Maybe a few hobbyist will still be toying with it in 20 years using their ancient pc. Who knows, maybe I'm just a pessimist.

Zack
*/-\*

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2004, 10:44:36 AM »

Well, I hope none of you were hoping to be able to recompile it, because that's generally impossible.
Anyway, no, perhaps not, but we could take asm PROC for the MID$() function, without making our own...probably wouldn't understand stuff like the memory allocation and tokenizing they do, but like I said, we could rip some functions.

Blitz

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2004, 04:51:50 PM »

For what purpose? It's not exactly the best code you'll ever see, not even close. And if the runtime lib is all you want then download the qbasic 1.1 source, the runtime lib is pretty much the same in all of them.

oship me and i will give you lots of guurrls and beeea
mark woods

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2004, 06:15:19 PM »

If this doesn't work maybe a petition should be set up to make QB available for a small price say 30.  They could have one of those pay to download things.  Or just chuck it on a CD with a license.  I want to get a legal copy of QB but I just can't find one anywhere.  Except for one site selling them second hand at $175.  

This would at least provide Microsoft a reason for doing it.

Of course there would be no point in doing this if this petition works.  Which i sincerely hope it does.
barok
Na_th_an

How about a tasty lead sandwich?

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2004, 06:17:01 PM »

besides, qb is slow.  plus you have limited memory.  a coding group might as well make a new qb from scratch.  shinier, faster, more memory, etc. etc.

Jumping Jahoolipers!
Zack
*/-\*

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2004, 07:37:50 PM »

Come on..."QB is slow", yeah, it is, now go give it up and learn C.
"QB Has limited memory", fine, go learn protected-mode, 32-bit assembly.
Jeez. It isn't QBasic that we love, it's the community that was built. C communities will send someone to kill you if you post a newbie question on a forum.

LooseCaboose

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2004, 07:49:09 AM »

Quote from: "Blitz"

Let's say they do release the source, what are you going to do with it? Expand on it? Port it to pmode? Just look at the source for qbasic 1.1, by the time you've figured out how it works you could have written your own from scratch

The are a number of open source Basic compilers available at the moment that would be a far better starting point than getting Qbasics source code. A number of people here have complained that none of the free Basic's available are 100% QBasic compatible. If they are open source, why not build on the existing work and try and work towards full QBasic compatibility (which probably wont happen once you goto pmode/32 bit).

I have the source to Liberty Basic somewhere and intend to have a look at it when I get some spare time. Although spare time is looking pretty slim this year, as Im working two jobs and doing Honours at Uni, my year project is on compilers though ;-)

esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
adosorken
*/-\*

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2004, 06:21:33 PM »

Quote from: "Zack"
It isn't QBasic that we love, it's the community that was built. C communities will send someone to kill you if you post a newbie question on a forum.

Amen to that one. Cheesy

Besides, when OBDS is done, people will have a 100% QB compatible BASIC for Windows (less libraries, of course...but there's a way around that too...hee hee) without segment limitations or sourcecode size limits.[/plug]

I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: