Qbasicnews.com
October 18, 2019, 10:46:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition to Microsoft  (Read 28476 times)
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2004, 09:45:26 AM »

Quote from: "TheBigBasicQ"
Nath, are you crazy as well? If m$ cannot stop the piracy of their OSs and all other products then how the hell are they going to check the distribution of a-20-year-old-obsolete-of-no-commercial-value-that-runs-on-a-deprecated-operating-system-software?

Uh? I didn't get you. Am I saying that they should check something?

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
aetherfox
Been there, done that

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2004, 12:14:49 PM »

Right, I'll rephrase it and stick a final draft here with all the suggestions made.

I need a favour.

Every single contact you have anywhere, in magazines, websites, newspapers, whatever, squeeze them to put a link to this petition.  Get it on all the major QBasic websites, magazines etc.  If somebody can stick it on a small newspaper, college paper or whatever, if someone can get it into a magazine, etc.

Whats in it for Microsoft?
They are supporting the community.  I tried to use some emotive language there...

Heres the final draft:

This petition to Microsoft is hereby established for the specific purpose of requesting Microsoft to release its older Basic line of products (QBasic 4.5, QuickBasic 7.1 and Visual Basic for DOS) as a freeware/abandon ware product.

Signers of this petition are active Basic language developers, and have expressed full support is this request to Microsoft. By exempting these products from the Microsoft license and copyright policy, Microsoft will be encouraging more developers, and feeding the online Basic programming community with a new, but dying hope. The support for the community by Microsoft will be appreciated by the signers of this petition, and we ask Microsoft to acknowledge the desire of many hobbyist programmers, and even beginner programmers, who use older compilers like QBasic for fun and a challenge or as a stepping stone to further language. QBasic is known in the community to be a great stepping stone to other Microsoft products such as the Visual Basic line of products.  The fact that it is 17 years old and runs on a platform that has lost support a long time ago doesn't stop these programmers from using it.

Signers of this petition would also like to thank Microsoft for other great products like Visual Basic, Visual C++, and computer games, such as Age Of Mythology. We hope that you will fulfil our request.

I was wondering whether I should make a mention of Borland's Museum products for an example like "make it freeware, like Borland has done with their older range of products."

What you think?

~''i|~thrFx~|i''~-  
avinash.vora - http://www.avinashv.net
Zack
*/-\*

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2004, 02:04:56 PM »

That draft looks good, but I think we need more flattery. Try mentioning how we all love Windows XP...And how we are outraged at the disgrace of those among us that peeked at the Windows 2000 source code. :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Plasma
Na_th_an

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2004, 04:14:20 PM »

Looks pretty good, but I would change a few things:

• All instances of "Basic" should really be "BASIC" (also, should read "QuickBASIC 4.5", not "QBasic 4.5")
  • I would change the list to include all Microsoft BASIC interpreters and compilers for DOS, not just 4.5/7.1/VBDOS.
  • Abandonware (it's one word) should be left out. Abandonware are programs that the developing company no longer sells or supports. So QB is already abandonware. We want to make it freeware.
  • We shouldn't ask Microsoft to give up their copyrights to QB. It can be freeware and still be copyrighted.
  • Split up the middle paragraph to make it more readable
  • I would mention Borland somewhere in there, and maybe throw in something about Gates and the Altair. Tongue
If we could get this on Slashdot somehow, we'd have no trouble getting signers...
Zack
*/-\*

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2004, 05:05:13 PM »

I opened Microsoft Word, typed in "QuickBASIC", and it suggested I use "QuickBasic" instead. So, if Microsoft's spell checker says that, use it. Smiley

LooseCaboose
I hold this place together

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2004, 06:26:37 PM »

Quote from: "Plasma"

If we could get this on Slashdot somehow, we'd have no trouble getting signers...

You could do an ask slashdot, something a bit more general, along the lines of "What ancient languages/compilers are people still using and should the copyright holders release them as unsupported freeware" and then mention that you are using QuickBASIC.

I personally don't see how the situation would be any different, Oracle (and other site maintainers) already have the full collection of compilers for download. I doubt Microsoft is going to go out of its way to prevent this, and I doubt that they will do anything drastic like release the source code for the compilers. At the very best you'll be able to download the same software, from the same places, while feeling slightly less guilty. ;-) [/quote]

esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
aetherfox
Been there, done that

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004, 09:50:24 AM »

I respectfully disagree.

I think its a big change.  For me, I will be using something legal.  That makes a difference.  Microsoft is showing care.  That makes a difference.  Bring the community as one.  Thats a difference.

You guys know anyone on slashdot?

This petition to Microsoft is hereby established for the specific purpose of requesting Microsoft to release its older BASIC line of compilers and interpreters  (such asQuickBASIC 4.5/ 7.1 and Visual BASIC for DOS) as freeware products.

Signers of this petition are active BASIC language developers, and have expressed full support is this request to Microsoft. By making the software freeware and allowing distribution, Microsoft will be encouraging more developers, and feeding the online BASIC programming community with a new, but dying hope.  As Borland has done with their older collection of compilers and interpreters, Microsoft could launch a "museum" of their older line of products.

The support for the community by Microsoft will be appreciated by the signers of this petition, and we ask Microsoft to acknowledge the desire of many hobbyist programmers, and even beginner programmers, who use older compilers like QuickBASIC for fun and a challenge or as a stepping stone to further language. QuickBASIC is known in the community to be a great stepping stone to other Microsoft products such as the Visual BASIC line of products. The fact that it is 17 years old and runs on a platform that has lost support a long time ago doesn't stop these programmers from using it.

Signers of this petition would also like to thank Microsoft for other great products like Visual BASIC, Visual C++, and computer games, such as Age Of Mythology. We hope that you will fulfil our request.

Admins: Put this on the news please.  I am disappointed that only 20 replies are on this, 4 from me.

~''i|~thrFx~|i''~-  
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2004, 10:13:42 AM »

Lurkers! Lurkers! I am very disappointed as well...

Let's make this. If Microsoft gives a shit about some 1,000s of users this will be a great success.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Z!re
*/-\*

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2004, 10:15:04 AM »

Fixed some spelling errors, and did some minor changes:
This petition to Microsoft is hereby established for the specific purpose of requesting Microsoft to release its older BASIC line of compilers and interpreters (such as QuickBASIC 4.5/ 7.1 and Visual BASIC for DOS) as freeware products.

Signers of this petition are active BASIC language developers, and have expressed full support in this request to You. By making the software freeware and allowing distribution, like Borland has done with their older collection of compilers and interpreters, You will be encouraging more developers, and feeding the online BASIC programming community with new hope.

The support for the community by You will be appreciated by the signers of this petition, and we ask You to acknowledge the desire of many hobbyist programmers, and even beginner programmers, who use older compilers like QuickBASIC for fun and a challenge or as a stepping stone to further language. QuickBASIC is known in the community to be a great stepping stone to other Microsoft products such as the Visual BASIC line of products. The fact that it is 17 years old and runs on a platform that has lost support a long time ago doesn't stop these programmers from using it.

Signers of this petition would also like to thank Microsoft for other great products like Visual Basic, Visual C++. We hope that you will fulfil our request.

Visual Basic, not Visual BASIC
Changed Microsoft to You
Moved  "like Borland has done with their older collection of compilers and interpreters" and removed the part about their library.
Changed some punctuation.
And added a space anf fixed spelling errors.

Where can we sign it?
Jonathan Simpson
Forum Regular

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2004, 12:55:39 PM »

Drat, I tried signing it and now my signature is stuck in the middle of my screen...
Anyway, you have my support.

Jonathan Simspon

onathan Simpson
aetherfox
Been there, done that

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2004, 01:18:10 PM »

It's done.

I've finished it, it's online at http://www.petitiononline.com/qbasicp/petition.html.

I had to do it here.

Sign it.

I used petitiononline because it's huge and even has press coverage...I'm sure the chances of getting found are slightly larger...

~''i|~thrFx~|i''~-  
Zack
*/-\*

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2004, 01:33:42 PM »

Broken link...can't tell ya whether it's 404, 405, or 40*, because there's this stupid spyware that makes me go to PerfectNav.com every time there's an error. :evil:

Plasma
Na_th_an

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2004, 01:45:38 PM »

Remove the period from the end of the url: http://www.petitiononline.com/qbasicp/petition.html
Zack
*/-\*

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2004, 02:27:59 PM »

Signed. Cheesy
Some of those comments are a little...anti-Microsoft though. Don't know how if that'll go down to well.

red_Marvin
Na_th_an

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2004, 03:52:37 PM »

Signed. Why can't I view the list? It only says:
Name Comments Which of the BASIC line of products do you use?

11 Total Signatures

View Signatures : 11    

Also Just a thought: what if MS decides to start an enormous lawsuit
against all those on the list, for illegal use of copyrighted products?

/post]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: