Qbasicnews.com
August 10, 2020, 02:06:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone wanna help with my RPG project.  (Read 11786 times)
R@dioman
Ancient QBer

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2004, 10:45:27 PM »

Hey rel: Interrested in knowing how to rip tiles for Snes roms for educational purposes. Also, I think that all of your routines that need 16 color gradients should have an option to use 8 color gradients. I noticed that 16 color gradients use too many colors that look the same, wasting precious slots. 8 color gradients give you more color options. How difficult would it be to alter your code so the user can have a choice to use 8 or 16 color gradients?

barok
Na_th_an

How about a tasty lead sandwich?

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2004, 12:16:48 AM »

impressive!

it's been a while, but i think some of those subs are similiar to minirpg by rel...  :-?  i could be mistaken though.  

another note, try making pixel-perfect collision instead of tile by tile collision.  it's much nicer.

Jumping Jahoolipers!
relsoft
*/-\*

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2004, 04:08:08 AM »

Quote from: "R@dioman"
Hey rel: Interrested in knowing how to rip tiles for Snes roms for educational purposes. Also, I think that all of your routines that need 16 color gradients should have an option to use 8 color gradients. I noticed that 16 color gradients use too many colors that look the same, wasting precious slots. 8 color gradients give you more color options. How difficult would it be to alter your code so the user can have a choice to use 8 or 16 color gradients?

Not a lot of editing needed. I'll send you a CALL absolutebased 8 color grad translucency if you want. :*)

BTW, With Flipmode. Wink

As to the SNES Vran Ripping I use BGmapper and my own converter to rip those sprites. :*)

Here:

http://rel.betterwebber.com/junk.php?id=7

y smiley is 24 bit.

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
R@dioman
Ancient QBer

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2004, 08:26:40 AM »

Rel: Thanks a bunch. You should make all your functions that need gradience customizable to whatever colors you need in the gradience, be it 4, 8, 16. I'm sure it would be a bit of work, but it would make your lib a whole lot better by allowing more color options. But whatever you  give me is appreciated :wink: . I tested BGMapper, but I can't figure out how the palette works out. If you right-click on a color, it will reconfigure the colors on the tiles. Can you give me a hint on how the program works and how the tiles are layed out in memory so I can extract them? Thanks rel! Hey, whatever happened to FJ? Haven't heard of it in a while. If you need a tester, let me know.

Lachie Dazdarian
I hold this place together

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2004, 09:02:44 AM »

I downloaded and will check it. It's great to know that it's being coded with RelLib.

Rellib RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!
Crono

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2004, 10:14:21 AM »

some of those subs are similiar to minirpg by rel

Yes that's true I used the example RPG demo that was given by the library to learn from. And some subs may look like copies because the code has the same style as that example.

another note, try making pixel-perfect collision instead of tile by tile collision. it's much nicer.

Pixel*Pixel Collision is already coded in the engine. I made a collide layer that uses color 15 for nonwalkable and color 0 for walkable tiles. I made a tileset for the collide layer. But that tileset only contains a whole white and an whole black tile. So its easy to ad special tiles for P*P collide
barok
Na_th_an

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2004, 06:10:24 PM »

just wondering, as i found it frustrating when i ran into grass and stopped...  :lol: that good though!

Jumping Jahoolipers!
typosoft

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2004, 08:08:54 PM »

Pretty good start.

Rel:  Everytime I play a rellib game, the text is just a bunch of jumble

Crono:

Looks good.  Add in event triggers.  I hope that the campfire isn't a tile, but an object.  Anything like a campfire should be an object in the game.  You could even throw event triggers in as objects, just don't draw them.  Then, you could animate the objects and do anything with them.  I would even lump the objects and npcs together in one TYPE.  Have a big array of TYPES and lump them together.  Specify the max number of objects at one time and the number of objects at any current time.  Look up QSort, and then sort the objects according to their Y position.  Also give objects an HP value and a take_damage value.  Then when you want to hurt an object (take HP away) check if the target hurt intensity is less than the objects.  So if a campfire can't be hurt then set it's intensity to 1 and set the hurtintensity of a magic fireball to 1.

Just give these values:
a PUT file (like those from PP256) and some values like:
framesPerDir =  How many walk frames there are per direction
framesPerAct = How many act frames (0 if none)
actsPerDir = How many acts (0 if none)
frames = number of total frames in the PUT file

Code:
use_frame = frame;
     if (kind <= 2) THEN
use_frame += (dir - 1) * (frames_per_dir + 1 + (frames_per_act * acts_per_dir))
    if (act) THEN use_frame = useFrame +  frames_per_dir + ((act - 1) * frames_per_act)
if (use_frame > frames) use_frame = frames;

also give each object an AI
if AI = 0 then do nothing
if AI = 1 then move randomly
if AI = 2 then seek and destroy
etc...

and have a sub to update all the objects
in the sub animate the objects if they have more than one frame
here's code for animation:
in c++, but easily changed:
Code:

if (HP <= 0 || !flim) return;
f_count++;
if (f_count >= f_delay)
{
f_count = 0; frame++;
if (frame > flim)
{
frame = 0;
// CHECK anim type and react (flames, etc...)
if (img == POOF) clear_stuff();
}
}

that's just how I would do things.  The reason I would quicksort the array is so you can draw according to depth.  I'm not sure how to do it in QBasic, but I'm sure you can find something on Google.

also, why didn't you compile it?

am: "Where should I put this thing so that it doesn't hurt anyone we know or care about?"
Max:"Out the window, Sam.  There's nobody but strangers out there."
barok
Na_th_an

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2004, 02:56:16 AM »

i tried compiling it, but i got too many errors.  kinda like my rpg engine  :lol:

Jumping Jahoolipers!
typosoft

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2004, 04:58:10 AM »

there's an article somewhere about manually compiling.  For Ped Xing's Quest I had to manually compile it too, because I got some errors.  It might be on the forums somewhere, or try one of the old qb mags.

am: "Where should I put this thing so that it doesn't hurt anyone we know or care about?"
Max:"Out the window, Sam.  There's nobody but strangers out there."
Crono

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2004, 05:06:10 AM »

Typosoft, that object thing I already did with my NPC's the campfire was just there to test if animated tiles worked.

The reason I didn't compiled it was because the game is far from finished.
jatos
Ancient QBer

re
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2004, 05:24:46 AM »

I can give a bit of help. Also looks good!

atos-Software
http://www.datacentertalk.com - interested in how web hosting works? Here the place to go to find out.
barok
Na_th_an

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2004, 11:43:18 AM »

awesome.  if anyone finds it, tell me, k?

the manual compiling thingy, i mean.

Jumping Jahoolipers!
relsoft
*/-\*

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2004, 05:30:41 AM »

R@dioman:  Yeah,  FJ is kinda like AAP's baby now, Im just here to help.  

Re: BGmapper.  You are in the right track, that's why it has to me a multistage precess(ripping).  The SNES uses just 16 colors for almost any sprite that's why you have to experiment.  It's a pain but once you could rip it it rulez.  That's why  I made a Grabber(with Rellib) using 8*8 tiles and converting the pal on the fly.  I'll see if I can find it through this mess of a harddrive.  I'll try to see if I can do those 4,8,16 translucency that you asked.  But as of right now,  I have more pressing problems like my health.

Typosoft:  Weird. I'll try to check. :*)

y smiley is 24 bit.

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
R@dioman
Ancient QBer

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2004, 07:55:57 AM »

Rel: No sweat. I don't really need those routines after all, so it's no urgent matter. What's wrong with your health? :barf:  Whatever it is, get well soon :wink:

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: