Qbasicnews.com
December 11, 2019, 05:10:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Windows source code leak  (Read 27442 times)
Rhiannon
Been there, done that

« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2004, 01:35:37 AM »

Quote from: "Zack"
/me now figures out that he's out of date...
Find me one business that never stole or did any illegal activity to gain popularily/sell more products.

I think that is a little offensive to those who own businesses, like me, and have never stole or cheated customers. There are a lot of honest businesses. Just cuz MS is an ass and likes to lie and cheat doesnt mean everyone else is like this. And since when is it ok to do something just becuz "everyone else does it"? This is a child's mentality.

igitalblackie.com - Done! Smiley Ask about our hosting Wink

-Goddess of the of the No More Religion Threads movement Smiley
Diroga
Been there, done that

« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2004, 02:36:20 AM »

Mac and Linux are open soure right? so what the problem with windows being open source?
oracle
*/-\*

« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2004, 05:46:19 AM »

^^^^ Huh??

Microsoft sells windows, that's why...

Zack
*/-\*

« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2004, 11:41:14 AM »

Mac? Open source? Really?
Linux? Yeah.
Like Oracle said. Precisely. And if they're open source, and someone can gain exploit information from it, it could be bye-bye to all the servers that use Windows NT/2000.

f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Rhiannon
Been there, done that

« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2004, 02:30:19 PM »

Linux? Yeah.
Like Oracle said. Precisely. And if they're open source, and someone can gain exploit information from it, it could be bye-bye to all the servers that use Windows NT/2000.

MacOS has been open source since 1999, since the Darwin project where they based the OS on Unix (very smart). Linux has been open source for decades, and Unix since the 60s. There still isnt a major exploit out there that can affect servers in a mass form as windows exploits do. Windows not being open source hasnt stopped people from exploiting the hell out of windows. And whoever is using NT or 2k as a webserver should be taken out and beaten.

TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2004, 03:48:05 PM »

Linux? Yeah.

Hehe, Linux has been always open source but the servers that run off it are extremely secure. Where as the Windows source code has been heavily guarded my M$ but they havent been able to secure their own machines. I wonder why  Cool

And whoever is using NT or 2k as a webserver should be taken out and beaten.

Rhia, you have really strong opinions  :rotfl:  :rotfl:
Rhiannon
Been there, done that

« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2004, 04:07:52 PM »

i'm a headstrong woman. I say what i mean.

TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2004, 04:10:27 PM »

Fine fine. But why are you against people using 2K or NT as webservers?
Rhiannon
Been there, done that

« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2004, 04:12:39 PM »

uhh.....let's see now.....more suspectable to exploits, virus infections, intrusions, all reasons for me to run when i see a windows server. And after being on IRC and seeing thousands upon thousands of bots used for warez and DDOS attacks, I really dont want to have precious info at the disposition of someone that can hack into the machine with a rootkit.

TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2004, 04:18:44 PM »

Couldnt have worded it better myself =). So are you just anti NT/2K or pro Linux as well?
Rhiannon
Been there, done that

« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2004, 04:20:39 PM »

Nix on my servers, and windows on my desktop till i find a better one.

TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2004, 04:24:20 PM »

For desktop, windows R |_| |_ 3 Z
For server, Linux.

But recently I've come across Lycoris. Its latest version is looking very promising. I havent used it though. But I want to try it. Currenly, I am using a Linux desktop =) and its cool.
oracle
*/-\*

« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2004, 06:56:15 PM »

I get along fine with KDE 3.1.5 (I also whacked 256MB more mem in my box). I can't print, but if I could I would be churning out documents with AbiWord. If I can, I do web development in quanta, and browse with firebird, learn java, upload with gFTP, play Dungeons with telnet... all for free, and very secure. In fact, the only reason I boot into windows these days is to prog in QB or test programs people have uploaded to QBNZ.

adosorken
*/-\*

« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2004, 08:41:27 PM »

For me, Linux on the desktop ended up being just that..."cool". Gnome 2 looked great. Smiley But after the "cool" wore off, I was stuck with a subpar OS with very little application support, and virtually NO support for hardcore BASIC programmers. I switched to KDE for a faster desktop, since Gnome was SO bloody slow. But after about a week of fighting with even the simplest of applications, I came to realize that it just wasn't the OS for an "instant gratification" kind of computer user like myself. So, I backed up some files (had to switch CDRW drives, because the one I was using at the time wasn't recognized....another tremendous annoyance) and reinstalled Windows. Never looked back either.

I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2004, 02:31:48 PM »

Nek, so you had a bad experience. Its ok. But once you get the hang of it, its a piece of cake =).

Oracle, why cant you print? Linux has so many print services. IMO CUPS is the best and the simplest. I would prefer star office over abiword. Also, I've noticed that M$ puts too many features in their apps. For example I use hardly 5% of the features in microsoft word =(.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: