Qbasicnews.com
May 25, 2022, 10:00:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: ATB Challenge  (Read 8292 times)
Anonymous
« on: December 13, 2003, 02:01:28 AM »

Since no one commented on whether or not this would be too easy for a challenge, I decide to do just that, and *make* it a challenge. Wink

The challenge is...

Make an active time battle system with a maximum of 3 characters, and 3 enemies. You can use whatever graphics you want... they dont have to be original. But the most important thing is...

NO LIBS!

This is a test of logical thinking, and structure. You don't need to have extravagant graphics and sound to have an extraordinary game. (Take the early Final Fantasys)

Each charcter (and enemy) must have stats such as HP, MP, Speed, Stregth, and whatnot, but I will leave it to your creativities to come up with actual attributes. You must display HP, displaying MP is optional. (but desired by any true RPG fan Wink ) Also you must display some sort of 'Action bar' that fills up when it's that characters turn. Try to make one 'hero' type, one 'mage' type and let the third be up to you Smiley (Again, not too strict on the legislature, Wink just try to implement some sort of magic/special ability.) There is no real size limit, but try to keep it *within reason*, k? Smiley

I hope you find this is a worthy challenge. I am currently working on an ATB engine as well, so don't think you'll be the *only* one! Smiley (*We'll* be the only ones Wink lol )

Feel free to comment/suggest/death threat me as you deem necessary. Bye Smiley

EDIT: I *almost* forgot! Let's make the deadline...hrm... Valentine's Day Wink sweet! Peace.
TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 02:16:57 AM »

Hmm...Sounds like a nice idea. But I think you should allow libs =) it will make the challenge even tougher and you would get some high quality gfx.
Anonymous
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 12:08:52 PM »

lol, how would libs make it tougher? Wink

and... no offense, but hi quilitah gfx  mean squat to me... i like ff2 n 3 n all those kewl games... lke i said the challenge is in the system not in the quality of graphics.

sigh but if thats what it takes to get even one entry i may whore myself out to it Sad
Lachie Dazdarian
I hold this place together

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 07:17:33 AM »

No libs?!?!?

Right....good luck with that rule.
TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 10:38:00 AM »

Quote from: "Cha0s"
lol, how would libs make it tougher? Wink

and... no offense, but hi quilitah gfx  mean squat to me... i like ff2 n 3 n all those kewl games... lke i said the challenge is in the system not in the quality of graphics.

sigh but if thats what it takes to get even one entry i may whore myself out to it Sad

Well it works like this. When you allow use of libs you are giving powerful tools to the programmers. And when you use such tools you expect the finished program to have some really good systems so that the competitors will have to actually work harder to make better system Wink.
BinarySHOCK
Forum Regular

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 06:56:26 AM »

It's not like u need a lib for this challenge anyway... it won't require that much speed, and besides that's what makes it a challenge, program ure own sprite routines and whatnot it's not that difficult. I say most of us are spoiled by these libs, take the real challenge making something really cool without the use of asm, IMO something pretty cool in pqb is better then something really cool with asm, not that i don't use libs aswell but generally only when there truely needed.

very F***ing song remains the same
To everyone who sucks-up for the fame
Out of strength you know we speak the truth
Every trend that dies is living proof

MasterMinds Software
Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 07:10:28 AM »

I love you man!!!!!

In a non-AAP kinda way!!!

(bye-bye post) Cheesy
TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 10:31:32 AM »

Quote from: "BinarySHOCK"
It's not like u need a lib for this challenge anyway... it won't require that much speed, and besides that's what makes it a challenge, program ure own sprite routines and whatnot it's not that difficult. I say most of us are spoiled by these libs, take the real challenge making something really cool without the use of asm, IMO something pretty cool in pqb is better then something really cool with asm, not that i don't use libs aswell but generally only when there truely needed.

Spoilt? Buddy, you are talking about programming for an obsolete operating system in a deprecated language(sorry everyone, but its the truth. Even so I love ya qb!). Its not even C/C++ Wink
Anonymous
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2004, 10:38:55 AM »

but dude, the diff between using libs and not using libs is the diff between using an old depreciated language, and not Wink see?

why do people build card houses? not because theyre suitable to support anything of value. cause they take balls. Tongue
TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 10:45:04 AM »

Thats what I tried telling him. But he wont listen =(
adosorken
*/-\*

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 11:18:58 AM »

What's the problem here, guys? Do you have no skill? Wink Smiley

This challenge is pretty easy for anyone with a rudimentary understanding of graphics commands. I think the no lib rule is what truly gives it the challenge. Any loser can slap together an ATB with a graphics library, but it takes skill to properly create a nice active visual scene without a backbuffer. And you don't even have to do it that way...you can always make your own backbuffer and your own buffered PUT...it's not tremendously difficult (maybe a little slow but certainly not impossible). Cheesy

C'mon! You can do this! This is a freakin' cakewalk! Cheesy

I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 11:25:01 AM »

Then we need a redefinition: This has become a pure QB graphics challenge, the ATB behind is just an excuse! Tongue

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
adosorken
*/-\*

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2004, 12:28:55 PM »

Fair enough Wink regardless, it's a pretty good applied pure qb graphics challenge Cheesy

I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2004, 12:31:09 PM »

And so I think Smiley
I wish I could enter this one Sad

Time---

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2004, 12:43:18 PM »

The redefinition works. But dont you guyz think that when someone is provided with powerful tools you can produce a better finished product? This makes it actually more difficult to create a better product Wink
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: