Qbasicnews.com
May 26, 2020, 05:00:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: This one's for all the loot :)  (Read 2669 times)
Anonymous
« on: November 11, 2003, 04:50:06 AM »

Okay, I have a question that might be dumb, but then again I dunno... well, why exactly is it that mp3's can't be played in qbasic? is is because of of speed? like seriously i would like to know because i wanna know if pursuing it would be futile or what... some1   help me out here  :Huh:
Sterling Christensen
Na_th_an

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 06:00:57 AM »

I hear it's mostly because of memory requirements - 640k isn't enough. Speed is also probably an issue.
red_Marvin
Na_th_an

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 07:18:29 AM »

I think that because mp3's are are small and have good quality
then it must be quite compressed and then you need to decopress
it in realtime and that probably takes much speed...

/post]
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 07:25:16 AM »

Yeah, but mainly memory. You have to build lots of tables that take heaps of memory.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Anonymous
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 02:36:48 PM »

hey thanx, yall. but damn though  Tongue
Antoni Gual
Na_th_an

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 06:33:04 PM »

Probably because no one has tried it yet...

Antoni
Diroga
Been there, done that

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 06:51:41 PM »

http://forum.qbasicnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=3550&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 07:11:11 PM »

diroga, i had already read that thread... but plasma used mpxplay... not qb. (qb was only for menus and song selection (front end)) i was wondering about qb as the actual 'workhorse' of the operation, u know? im reading up on it. really i just want to use mp3s in a game, but i think that may be impossible, because even if qb can handle mp3s, it seems like   it wouldnt be able to process graphics and ordinary game algorithms at the same time. well, theres research to be done. i was really just interested if anyone actually tried it yet. evryone seems pretty pessimistic about it though Tongue regardless i luv the challenge. adi
Antoni Gual
Na_th_an

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 07:11:57 PM »

Quote from: "Plasma357"
I used QB for the front-end (menus, song selection, etc), but for actually playing the MP3s, I used MPXPlay. I wrote a TSR in C to monitor/control the program.

MPXPlay is a DOS32 app you can find at
http://mpxplay.cjb.net/
So the only QB part in Plasma's box is the user interface...

MPXplay claims it can run in a 486DX2 with 4 meg, so probably a simple QB player could be made for a modern PC(with the help of DQB or UGL sound modules).

The biggest problems i see are:
-Timing. All things must run at a regular pace.. In W2000 or XP dos is run at very irregular intervals.  
-Windows does'nt support sound cards in DOS anymore. So we should use VDMSound.
-Translating the mp3 spec into something understandable
(maybe the hardest one)

Antoni
Antoni Gual
Na_th_an

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 07:16:00 PM »

cha0s:
Check DS4QB++. As it actually interfaces QB with Windows Media API,  mp3 files are not excluded in principle. (I never checked it)

Antoni
adosorken
*/-\*

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2003, 10:43:08 AM »

QB simply doesn't have the calculation speed required to play an MP3. This is the same reason no one's ever made an MPEG player for QB in the first place. I've seen AVI players for QB, but they only supported 8 bit uncompressed AVIs (this was a few years back). A complete assembly language library would be required for "native" MP3 support in QB. A few years back, I realized this, and researched the possibility of using Windows sound resources instead. Master Creating had done something similar with Shadow Of Power (VB3 slave which played MIDI files), so I innovated DS4QB, which handled MP3s very nicely Smiley Aethersoft (Nethergoth) followed up with DS4QB2, and then Lithium with DS4QB++. The rest is history. Smiley

I'd knock on wood, but my desk is particle board.
Antoni Gual
Na_th_an

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2003, 01:17:52 PM »

In fact Youssuf Phlilips QB AVI player last version can read RLE encoded files. That's not a true compression, I agree with you Cheesy

My pure QB JPEG viewer decodes a 2,5 mpixel (3 bytes/pixel) in 12 seconds in my computer, it is the same magnitude order as the 150 Kbytes/second needed by a stereo track, so I imagine speed is not an issue.

Another problem is if QB would be able to do anything else while playing .mp3. I'm afraid the answer is NO, so I think .mp3 in QB is  feasible, but your approach of doing a Windows slave program is the correct one.

Antoni
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: