Qbasicnews.com
April 06, 2020, 12:11:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vocabulary in a text game?  (Read 6908 times)
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2003, 04:34:48 PM »

It  occurs to me that instead of allowing the user to enter commands like "take key, get key, pickup key" which all perform the same operation, why don't you present him with a menu of all the operations he can perform. The operations on the menu would be numbered, and the user would select the number for the operation he wants. The description for each operation could contain several versions, like take key, get key, pickup key. All you would have to do is check that he entered a valid operation number, and not worry about all the wording.

What do you think?
oracle
*/-\*

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2003, 07:30:08 PM »

I think the whole point of that type of game was that people had to experiment to find out what they could type in, though Smiley

Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2003, 08:16:19 PM »

Oh, that wasn't clear to me. :oops:
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2003, 09:22:00 PM »

Moneo, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy IFs a lot.

They base themselves on interpreting natural language (not completely, but they come near). It is great that you can try whatever you want, not only following a menu of possible actions.

An example of a game in an IF could be:

1.- The computer gives you a description of where you are:

At last you arrived to the house. It looks like a very old, small wooden box full of holes. The only entrance is a rusty iron door. The only window is slammed with two thick logs of wood. The athmosphere is misty, you start feeling cold and your clothes are wet. The night is approaching, and you can hear the wails of the coyotes

2.- At this point, the player feels like coming inside the house so he can protect himself against the cold, the rain and the coyotes (extrange combination Cheesy). A simple prompt is offered to the player. "It's your turn":

>>>_

Then the player can try different things:

>>> enter house

Sorry, but the door is in your way!.

>>> open door

You try to pull and push, but the door doesn't open.

>>> examine door

It is firmly locked. And you don't have the key.

>>> examine window

Two thick logs are nailed firmly to the wall, avoiding any intruders to come into.

>>> pull logs

They are firmly nailed. You can't move'em just with your strength

The player can try whatever he wants to do (within some limits, of course, but I've seen very complex adventures!). At the end, he or she thinks about his/her pockets, 'cause he/she remembers that he took a took box from the car some locations ago...:

>>> inventory

You are carrying a heavy toolbox, a wallet and a bottle.

>>> examine toolbox.

It is closed.

>>> open toolbox and examine it.

You open the toolbox.
The toolbox is closed. You find inside a hammer, a tap and a screw.

>>> remove the nails with the hammer

Good idea, but they seem very rusty and don't move

>>> examine bottle

It contains oil from the engine of your car.

>>> use oil in the nails

They seem to be more lubricated now.

>>> remove the nails with the hammer

Done!

>>> remove logs

You remove the logs.

>>> enter house

You enter the house thru' the window

And problem solved! I love this kind of games, they left a lot of room for imagination. A good IF is very well written, so if you enjoy reading this is your kind of games.

My project was making a big IF to play online. A server would carry the game, and every player would connect using a client. The problem is that I don't have enough knowledge about netplay, but I would like to spend some time with this in a near future.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2003, 10:02:45 PM »

NATHAN,
Yes, that's a very interesting type of game. I would like to try one. What do you suggest, or should I wait for your version? Will yours be bilingual? :wink:
SCM
Wandering Guru

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2003, 11:53:06 PM »

Moneo,

This is an ancient one (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy):

http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html#help

hrist Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am first.(I Timothy 1:15)

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.(John 3:16)
Phydaux

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2003, 06:07:56 AM »

If you really into text adventures, you really should get into IF (like nathan said). There are many languages that have been written, with objects etc., just for this.

Inform
TADS (Text Adventure Development System)
XYZZY news

and the newsgroups (the main part of the IF community):

rec.arts.int-fiction
rec.games.int-fiction

url=http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=60131&t=79][/url]
END OF LINE.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2003, 08:39:05 AM »

Thanks, Phydaux, that was what I was gonna sugest Wink

I'd recomend to download the WinFrotz interpreter and "Photopia". Photopia is a great IF, it won many awards when it was released, and also tells a precious story (really sensitive).

I'll dig and provide links Smiley

Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 04:40:24 PM »

Try the IF Archive (www.ifarchive.org). They've got all sorts of IF games. wurb.com/if provides a better interface for finding games in the Archive.

In the beginning, there is darkness the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Peter

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 05:00:54 PM »

i]The short answer is 'Yes.' The long answer is 'No.'[/i]
Anonymous
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 05:47:40 PM »

:bounce:  :bounce:  :mrgreen:
yetifoot
Ancient Guru

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 08:42:15 AM »

Did anyone enjoy the InfoCom text adventures?  Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy was my favourite (then the zork series).  I would consider them a masterclass in good text adventures.

EVEN MEN OF STEEL RUST.
SCM
Wandering Guru

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 11:41:29 PM »

Yetifoot,

See my post on the first page regarding "The Hitchhiker's Guide".  I enjoy Douglas Adam's humor, but I had a very hard time figuring his reasoning.  I had to resort to a hint book to solve the bablefish problem, and I never could solve the main problems of the Heart of Gold.

Steve

hrist Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am first.(I Timothy 1:15)

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.(John 3:16)
Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 06:30:55 PM »

AFAIK, Zork is the only InfoCom game i've played, and I tend to prefer storyline-based games to loot-finding games.

In the beginning, there is darkness the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 06:31:09 AM »

Try photopia on any z-machine then. Awesomeness.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: