Qbasicnews.com
February 18, 2020, 12:25:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: dir command >> exe?  (Read 8050 times)
Plasma
Na_th_an

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2003, 04:28:14 PM »

Glenn, I understand what you're saying, but I don't know why you're saying it. If you agree that I was not talking about the reliability of DIR and SHELL themselves, then why are you rambling on about them?

My point was: using interrupts to get a directory list is more reliable than a simple SHELL "DIR >bleh.txt". I think you agree. No need to give me your life story.
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2003, 04:33:22 PM »

cleaner too.

Killing things isn't pleasant.

Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Glenn
I hold this place together

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2003, 04:34:13 PM »

anyone on this planet would be interested in my life story.  (Trust me, you haven't heard it.)  Why are *you* rambling?  Go reread what I wrote and  then maybe you'd resolve the confusion.  I think I've made it clear that I *don't* agree that there's anything unreliable (or less reliable) about using SHELL and DIR.  The unreliability you're talking about has nothing to do with SHELL or DIR.  *That's* the point.  It was never about whether or not to use SHELL and DIR.  (If you aren't interested in the point, that's *your* business.  Smiley  )

ravelling Curmudgeon
(geocities sites require copying and pasting URLs.)
I liked spam better when it was something that came in a can.
Windows should be defenestrated.
Antoni Gual
Na_th_an

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2003, 04:38:27 PM »

Nathan:
 Shocked
I never noticed it... It happens in W2000 also. Nice feature..
Is as if dir was invoked with /-n...and it does'nt let you use /n...

Antoni
Plasma
Na_th_an

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2003, 04:45:32 PM »

Listen, Glenn, I know how you like to nitpick. It doesn't matter what I say, because you're always going to be correct. I know you know what I'm saying, but you choose to nitpick. Fine, whatever. Have fun talking to yourself. Tongue
Glenn
I hold this place together

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2003, 04:54:04 PM »

and blame other people for your failure to grasp them.

ravelling Curmudgeon
(geocities sites require copying and pasting URLs.)
I liked spam better when it was something that came in a can.
Windows should be defenestrated.
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2003, 05:03:30 PM »

Hey Glenn, why is your sig "I Hold This Place Together"? Smiley

Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2003, 07:54:46 PM »

After following this entire thread, I have to agree with Glenn. Cheesy  If all of you agree that  the use of SHELL and DIR is relaible and that many people have been using it successfully, then why not use them as such?

Why look for a sofisticated but complicated interrupt solution of about 70 lines of code, that most people will not understand? Are any of you qualified or willing to test and debug this interrupt solution?

If this interrupt solution was a proven function in a reliable library, then go ahead and use it if youe really prefer not using SHELL and DIR.
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2003, 08:00:04 PM »

Why look for a sofisticated but complicated interrupt solution of about 70 lines of code, that most people will not understand? Are any of you qualified or willing to test and debug this interrupt solution?

Because killing files isn't my thing, because most people don't need to understand (only I do), because I am willing to test and debug this interrupt solution and have already implemented it.

na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2003, 08:18:40 PM »

Quote from: "Agamemnus"
Hey Glenn, why is your sig "I Hold This Place Together"? Smiley

WC added that rank when I reached 750 posts.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2003, 08:32:25 PM »

Quote from: "Agamemnus"

Because killing files isn't my thing...

Are you concerned with having to clean up and kill the temporary file generated by the DIR? I fail to see the problem. If the file was generated by the DIR, and then you read its contents, what's the problem wilh killing it?
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2003, 08:36:23 PM »

files are like human beings......

EDIT:

See, not having DIR is important, when one doesn't have a full "dir" (Megaman doesn't have command.com, but dir command still works a little..)

Rokkuman
Na_th_an

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2003, 12:06:23 AM »

Agamemnus told me to post that I don't have Command.com... which I don't...
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2003, 02:18:33 PM »

MEGAMAN,

I'm running WinXP and command.com is in \windows\system32.
What version of Windows are you running that does not have command.com?

I have to agree with the following comment by Glenn:
"... I've never used any version of windows that didn't at least provide a command.com for DOS programs to work. If you're using such an implementation/installation, what are you doing trying to run DOS programs with it? ..."
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2003, 06:48:59 PM »

Well, my program with dir didn't work before on his computer, and now it does..

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: