Qbasicnews.com
December 10, 2019, 11:52:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: QBASIC and other languages.  (Read 14171 times)
DVAlan

« on: July 10, 2003, 09:09:21 AM »

Once I learn the art of programming and a language is it alot easier to then learn other computer program languages?
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 09:15:10 AM »

if you have the nerve to learn some of the other so-called languages *cough* Java *cough*.

Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
Phydaux

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 09:57:25 AM »

Quote from: "DVAlan"
Once I learn the art of programming and a language is it alot easier to then learn other computer program languages?
The short answer is yes.
You get used to the logical format that programs need to take and general program structures and algorithms. But it depends what language you know, to be able to say whether the transition to another language is easy, or not.

BASIC (Beginner's All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) was designed to be a steping-stone language. To teach general programming techniques.

url=http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=60131&t=79][/url]
END OF LINE.
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 03:11:09 PM »

Quote from: "DVAlan"

Phydaux said that Basic is a good stepping-stone language. Yes and no. Here are my thoughts:

* If you just want to "fool around"with some programming, Basic is fine 'cause it's fairly simple and easy to learn.

* Remember that Basic is from the 1960's. A stepping-stone back then is not one now. If you intend to be using programming as part of your career, then I would not recommend Basic. Start out with C and then C++ to begin understanding the concepts of today's programming environments. Leaning Basic first might later make the transition harder. Remember, we always love the first programming language that we learn. Why fall in love with an obsolete one.
Glenn
I hold this place together

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 03:18:47 PM »

The Basic of today has no real comparison with what it started out as.  I started out in the 1950's.  I still use me.  Smiley  Cars, for example, came to be long before then.   They're still being used, even though the ones that existed then won't likely  ever be again.

ravelling Curmudgeon
(geocities sites require copying and pasting URLs.)
I liked spam better when it was something that came in a can.
Windows should be defenestrated.
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2003, 03:56:35 PM »

I hear ya, GLENN, but I don't get your point.
KingCheetah
Forum Regular

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 08:04:03 PM »

Moneo wrote:

Why fall in love with an obsolete one

I think Basic is not obsolete. Have You ever heard about PureBasic, or XBasic? Both of them are modern Windows based languages with fast speed (Assembly!). Xbasic is an open-source one! It puts out assembly language files what can be compiled on Linux, and Windows too without any modification in Your BAS file! But that's also true that Xbasic is only 70% basic, the rest is C (I know both languages, so it's no problem for me)

ingCheetah, the Running Cheetah Software programmer

http://rcs.fateback.com/
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 08:13:20 PM »

KingCheetah,

If Basic were not obsolete, then these new ramifications of Basic would not be around. In my opinion, they're just trying to attract the market of many, many Baisic users and lovers who now have nowhere to turn.
toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 08:14:38 PM »

I should mention that powerbasic beats the bants off both of them, but it will never be as popular as c/c++, because c/c++ is the standard, and as a result C compilers still outpower BASIC ones because they're made by professional teams.

If you program QBasic, though, you really shouldnt care.  I do whatever I program because it's a good "concept" language, and it's fun.

i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2003, 08:39:52 PM »

With UGL, you have 16 megs of RAM to work with and a not-so-big slowdown compared with windows 32 bit games, even in 16x800x600. It's giving a new life to qb, methinks.

Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Phydaux

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2003, 10:34:53 PM »

Quote from: "Moneo"
Phydaux said that Basic is a good stepping-stone language. ...
No I didn't. Re-read my post.

I personaly feel that its easy to learn another language if you already know one. Because even the most different languages share simmilar traits (like variables, basic programming structures etc.)

I'll give you one example:
With SimCity 3000 there is a scenario builder, that *really* tries to help the non-programmer but has loops and if's and variables. It's practically it's own language.
I was able to pick it up very quickly (it took me about an hour to make a complex scenario, using most of the functions of the scenario builder)
My Girlfriend tried to understand it but gave up as you needed some fundamental programming knowlege.

This is where my knowelege of QBASIC helped me understand another language quicker than someone who had never learnt a language. Even tho QBASIC was never designed to be a stepping-stone to the SC3K scenario builder.

url=http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=60131&t=79][/url]
END OF LINE.
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2003, 11:01:31 PM »

PHYDAUX.

Ok, you actuaally said that Basic was designed to be a stepping-stone language.

That was a good example about SimCity. Glad it worked out for you. My point is that had you learned any other language first, that knowledge would have helped you equally well.

Don't get me wrong --- I love Basic. But, if I were starting out today, I don't think I would want to start with Basic. Just like if I was starting out to learn about cars, I wouldn't want to learn about carburators, I would want to learn about fuel injection.
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2003, 11:11:49 PM »

Nay. Your girlfriend gave up because she got impatient and didn't want to spend an hour figuring it out. But we, we programmers, already spent countless eons on this sort of thing and it's natural. (or at least it would be if most scripting languages didn't suck--AoM's and AoK's, and all of those RTS scripting languages SUCK)

oracle
*/-\*

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2003, 11:14:34 PM »

Quote from: "Agamemnus"
Nay. Your girlfriend gave up because she got impatient and didn't want to spend an hour figuring it out. But we, we programmers, already spent countless eons on this sort of thing and it's natural. (or at least it would be if most scripting languages didn't suck--AoM's and AoK's, and all of those RTS scripting languages SUCK)

RTS scripting engine? Railroad Tycoon's engine was one of the worst... but I figured it out, not because I had time but because I realised that like QBasic there must have been some login behind it.

Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2003, 11:27:36 PM »

right, but it takes time to figure out the messed up logic these scripting engines have.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: