Qbasicnews.com
July 03, 2020, 10:23:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to college w/major in computer science  (Read 3672 times)
toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2003, 12:16:07 AM »

sounds like speculation.

I think .net is not as big a deal as they make it.  Virtual machines like parrot can do the same thing.  Microsoft is trying to capitalize on the business, and it will probably succeed, but c# as a language is not very useful.

i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
LooseCaboose
I hold this place together

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2003, 12:47:57 AM »

.NET is not a virtual machine. This is one of the biggest misconceptions in the modern computing world, that .NET is basically the equivalent of the JVM. Apparently .NET is a big enough deal for Ximian (Mono), Corel (Rotor), and the FSF (DotGNU) to have to taken the time to develop .NET complaint frameworks. What makes you think that C# is not a useful language, how extensively have you used it yourself?

Combined with the rest of .NET C# is very powerful, because if it has a shortcoming you simply switch to another language, code the functions you need and can then link and run them without difficulty, with a language (implementation) like Java if you discover a shortcoming of the language, you are basically stuck with trying to find a work around in the language you are using.

One of the most interesting things about .NET is Microsofts development approach. The entire .NET framework is an open-design, which is how the other frameworks are being developed, Microsoft is also supporting these development of the other frameworks which run on systems such as Solaris, MacOS X and interestingly Linux.. .NET binaries are completely cross platform and only need a .NET complaint framework to run on, this means that to run a .NET binary or use a .NET webservice you dont actually need any Microsoft products at all, this is a very strange stance for Microsoft to take when one of its goals seems to be domination of desktop computing.

esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: