Qbasicnews.com
January 23, 2022, 12:28:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Web desing - opinions  (Read 10427 times)
Ninkazu
Been there, done that

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2003, 06:37:02 PM »

Jocke's is http://jockethebeast.qbrpgs.com

am an asshole. Get used to it.
toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2003, 06:51:08 PM »

thanksies

i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
wizardlife
Na_th_an

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2003, 10:40:04 PM »

Looks amazing. I wish I could do that. Wizardcode could use that sort of makeover.

Do you just do layouts, or could you actually write a blog and screenshot database in php? Cause I might be willing to pay for a site like this (not safe for work) for Drunken Ogre...

toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2003, 02:28:26 AM »

I use Perl, but I know enough PHP to get by with the documentation.  But I wouldnt trust my current work ethic for pay as of yet (I'm not that responsible).  Right now I have exactly two "clients" for non-scripted websites, and two scripted websites I did as freebies for my dad's dental organizations.

i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
ak00ma
Ancient Guru

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2003, 05:28:12 AM »

I could help you  Wiz,..., I've coded a lot PHP/MySQL in the last time....just meet me on MSN Messenger

B 4 EVER
wizardlife
Na_th_an

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2003, 01:00:07 PM »

Quote from: "ak00ma"
I could help you  Wiz,..., I've coded a lot PHP/MySQL in the last time....just meet me on MSN Messenger

kewl. I actually tried designing with with Photoshop's slices the other night. Couldn't believe how straight-forward it was. I always assumed that kind of stuff was really hard. I managed to get an index working with a PHP case statement to determine which page to display.

Question: Is it good to have the different pages as separate files that all use SSI to include the sidebar, or is it better to have a single index file that includes the different content pages depending on a passed value?

toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2003, 01:53:59 PM »

depends - are you making this in php or shtml/cgi?  php is integrated, and you can insert html pages like cake.  but you couldnt use shtml with it.

i'd keep the content in separate php files and insert them with your case statement in the index file.

KingCheetah
Forum Regular

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2003, 07:58:18 PM »

How did You registered betterwebber.com? It can be done for free? (An address like http://something.com/)

ingCheetah, the Running Cheetah Software programmer

http://rcs.fateback.com/
toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2003, 08:02:53 PM »

No.  It costs $10 in us dollars.

oracle
*/-\*

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2003, 02:46:31 AM »

I don't mind the blue, but it certainly looks familiar.

I look at the code and shudder as usual. So much easier with CSS...

toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2003, 03:03:02 AM »

Easier, maybe, but not as flexible to different resolutions, and easier to develop.  If you shudder, it only shows your lacking knowledge of HTML Smiley

PS.  I didnt design VPlanet, BTW.  Vance did.  I also didnt use the same colors, color scheme, font, layout, content, or formatting in general.  Really, the only thing we have in common, is my working there and the color blue.  

But the color blue is nothing i'm not used to Smiley

oracle
*/-\*

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2003, 03:48:03 AM »

What do you mean, not adaptable to different resolutions? You should know better toonski, I'm disappointed. CSS is very much adaptable to different resolutions by setting percentage widths etc.

And my knowledge of HTML is very thorough I assure you... and HTML is supposed to be used for structure, not content layout.

toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2003, 04:03:11 AM »

Percentage widths are no solution to page flexibility.  Trust me, if you could position an offset 30 pixels from object a, or make object b the height of object c with a simple stylesheet, i'd jump right on it, but such is not the case, and my artistic hunger extends much beyond anything that could be solved with a simple percentage width.  For instance, notice the bottom of the page, and tell me if you could make it end at that exact point without using a table structure (or javascript hacks).  In fact I tried to do it, and after 3 unsuccessful attempts to make it purely CSS I was forced to rely on my old friend, the table tag.  I'm not afraid to use CSS, in fact I use it to create multiple layers, set standard fonts and position menu images in the very page we're talking about.  But it's not magic pixie layout dust, and even if it could do all the things a table can do, it'd be hard to do it with the ease of a table tag.

oracle
*/-\*

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2003, 04:21:32 AM »

I am presuming here that you are talking about the (c) 2003 Betterwebber... line right? Well... what's wrong with enclosing the whole line in a <div>, giving it no top margin and styling the background? It's dead easy, I assure you.

And also digging around, I see at one point you have 3 tables nested inside one another, where the second one is just used to make space to the left and right. What's wrong with using the CSS properties padding and margin? It would save you loads of markup. I also see you have used illegal and deprecated markup like topmargin and stuff that can be replaced by: body {margin: 0;}.

And you can position an offset 30 pixels from object a really easily as well. Simply make the object a child of object a (by nesting it inside object a and then use the position statement to precisely position it. It's so easy, you just don't know how.

And for making objects the same height: what's wrong with the CSS height attribute? There is a height attribute, you know.

Now try to recover from that. CSS is better, and you know it, you just can't use it properly.

Hexadecimal Disaster
Been there, done that

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2003, 05:09:40 AM »

I think that the main problem here is that almost every browser in existence has some kind of "custom" implementation of CSS, mainly IE (blaaagh) and NS (double blaaagh). So, until they stick to the standard -and gladly there are already some signs of that- I wouldn't rely 100% on just CSS. Sad but true.

img]http://usuarios.vtr.net/~disaster/sigs/annoyizer.php[/img]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: