Qbasicnews.com
November 21, 2019, 01:58:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sig length  (Read 15648 times)
wizardlife
Na_th_an
*****
Posts: 1456


WWW
« on: April 28, 2003, 11:41:00 PM »

= too small. I don't know what its set to right now, but its hardly anything. Could we get it expanded and then simply say that the limit is eight or ten 'ordinary' lines?

Cause a text character limit is sort of ridiculous since folks can put huge pix or text in them anyways...
Logged

Hexadecimal Disaster
Been there, done that
*****
Posts: 1123



« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 12:18:52 AM »

255 or 300 characters by default, I don't remember well. Can be changed by the admin.

I'll ask for Flash movies support, then.
Logged

img]http://usuarios.vtr.net/~disaster/sigs/annoyizer.php[/img]
Piptol
Ancient QBer
****
Posts: 422



WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 10:05:21 AM »

Quote from: "wizardlife"
= too small. I don't know what its set to right now, but its hardly anything. Could we get it expanded and then simply say that the limit is eight or ten 'ordinary' lines?

Cause a text character limit is sort of ridiculous since folks can put huge pix or text in them anyways...


Talking of which.. it would be nice if we could ditch those huge sig banners that are becoming increasingly vogue. They just slow down loading time and mean my poor mouse has more scrolling to do  :roll:
Logged

In a world without walls and doors, who needs Windows and Gates?
Dav
Administrator
Ancient Guru
*****
Posts: 709



WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 10:05:38 AM »

Quote from: "Hexadecimal Disaster"
255 or 300 characters by default, I don't remember well. Can be changed by the admin.


You're right, It's set to 300 characters and can be changed easily.  I won't do it though unless wildcard gives the ok. Personally, I think 300 is big enough.   What would you say is a good length?  I think a big length could become distracting to the forum if some abused it.

Quote from: "wizardlife"
Cause a text character limit is sort of ridiculous since folks can put huge pix or text in them anyways...


You have a point there.

Speaking of signatures, I recently found out that John Hancock (the dude that signed his signature so big) is in my family tree in some way - on my mothers side.  My relatives showed me an old original letter the guy wrote his family way back then.  It's interesting but hard to read.  

- Dav
Logged

na_th_an
*/-\*
*****
Posts: 8244



WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 11:12:59 AM »

I consider that 300 is ok, why do you need a bigger sig? I think that the important thing in this forum are the messages. I could pass without sigs or avatars.

Like Piptol, I consider very annoying big signatures. In some other forums, people have huge signatures full of images and tons of text and links, and they are very distracting. You end having more signature text in the page than actual interesting text.
Logged

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
wizardlife
Na_th_an
*****
Posts: 1456


WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 11:23:00 PM »

Quote from: "na_th_an"
I consider that 300 is ok, why do you need a bigger sig? I think that the important thing in this forum are the messages. I could pass without sigs or avatars.


Avatars are nice since you can tell at a glance who the principle posters are in a thread...

I'm just saying the character limit is moot, it would be better to create a 'vertical' limit of x lines. Some people might want to post their system specs or a mini-rant or something... it wouldn't take a lot of space in a smaller font, but sys-specs (processor, OS, etc...) are useful info to have when trying to help with some types of problems...
Logged

oracle
*/-\*
*****
Posts: 3652



WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2003, 11:36:53 PM »

Wizardlife: your signature=31 characters. What do you want more space for?

I agree on the picture thing though. How about a size limit in kilobytes, like the avatar?

And lets all not forget about Relsoft's signature (the picture). How could we break the news? He'd either be devastated :wink: or he wouldn't mind, for the good of the users.

-----
Note after reading thread again: This is exactly how democracy should work. Someone has an idea, and all interested give their opinion, but no one bags the person or the plan. Congrats all forum members!
-----
Logged

wizardlife
Na_th_an
*****
Posts: 1456


WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2003, 11:55:15 PM »

Quote from: "oracle"
Wizardlife: your signature=31 characters. What do you want more space for?


If there was more space, there'd be my sys specs, operating system, and my favorite Max Payne quote.
Logged

Hexadecimal Disaster
Been there, done that
*****
Posts: 1123



« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 02:51:35 AM »

oracle: All of this is part of something intangible called common sense. For instance, my sig is 10kb big, and I'd never use it for short messages, one-line-hit-combos and the such. I'm not approving nor against graphic signatures (in fact it seems that I was the one that started the "craze"), but favorable for those little things that in the end makes the difference. Use the Edit button if the message isn't replied yet. Keep images lightweight. Use the Preview feature before screwing the page layout. Also please note that between the options at your disposal before submitting any text, it's possible to find "Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)", and I think that sometimes comes in handy to unmark the box. Just my humble opinion.

About your final thought, the "plan" wasn't preposterous enough to be flamed, hence you only see mild replies on this thread.

wizardlife: I don't see the point behind seeing all these specs everytime you post something. This isn't an emulation or hardware forum, and, in the worst case, we'll ask you.

Mr. Max Payne's lil' words of wisdom are welcome, though.
Logged

img]http://usuarios.vtr.net/~disaster/sigs/annoyizer.php[/img]
wizardlife
Na_th_an
*****
Posts: 1456


WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2003, 01:07:26 PM »

Quote from: "Hexadecimal Disaster"
wizardlife: I don't see the point behind seeing all these specs everytime you post something. This isn't an emulation or hardware forum, and, in the worst case, we'll ask you.


True.
Logged

oracle
*/-\*
*****
Posts: 3652



WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2003, 08:16:37 PM »

Quote from: "Hexadecimal Disaster"
Use the Edit button if the message isn't replied yet. Keep images lightweight. Use the Preview feature before screwing the page layout. Also please note that between the options at your disposal before submitting any text, it's possible to find "Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)", and I think that sometimes comes in handy to unmark the box. Just my humble opinion.


I hope you wern't lecturing me. I already do all that stuff. Put that in the email that new users recieve, like I said.

Wizardlife: You can already fit Max Payne's words, can't you? Or do you have a lot of quotes?
Logged

wizardlife
Na_th_an
*****
Posts: 1456


WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2003, 11:01:39 PM »

Quote from: "oracle"
Wizardlife: You can already fit Max Payne's words, can't you? Or do you have a lot of quotes?


No... lol. I'm just trying to make a point. Oh well. The default action is none. Thus the status quo is maintained.
Logged

LooseCaboose
I hold this place together
*****
Posts: 981



« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2003, 01:48:26 AM »

The generally accepted format for a universal signature is text only, 4 lines maximum with 70 characters in each line. Those limits ensure that signatures dont take up to much space, bandwidth and can be viewed on any computer.

The rules are slightly different here though, as I doubt there are many people using this forum with a text based browser, but its still common courtesy to keep signatures small and meaningful, otherwise it just becomes spam.
Logged

esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!