Qbasicnews.com
April 05, 2020, 07:08:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: How does one store .gifs and other images without a libary  (Read 10595 times)
wizardlife
Na_th_an

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2003, 10:32:30 AM »

Quote from: "Kofman"
Wouldn't the game be somewhat slow if you forced it to do that every single time. Rinse and Repeat that is.

Obviously. But there is no alternative... except very complicated 'look-up'-type operations to repair the background. And either way you'll need to double-buffer.

Kofman

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2003, 11:45:01 AM »

Oh wow, isn't their a way to make layers. If someone could invent layers in QB this could be solved couldn't it? Just a hunch  :-?

иииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииLINEAR INCиииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии
п-----------------------------------------------------------------------O
From Problem to Solution - We take the shortest distance
toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2003, 12:18:51 PM »

that is layers.  you draw the bottom layer, the next layer over it, and the top layer over that.  that how it works in photoshop and that's how it work in qb (or any toher language).

i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
red_Marvin
Na_th_an

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2003, 01:21:07 PM »

Quote from: "wizardlife"
Wouldn't the game be somewhat slow if you forced it to do that every single time. Rinse and Repeat that is.

Obviously. But there is no alternative... except very complicated 'look-up'-type operations to repair the background. And either way you'll need to double-buffer.

you can always get the background where the sprite should be
placed and when erasing the sprite just PUT the "saved background"-sprite...

/post]
Hard Rock
I hold this place together

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2003, 10:33:33 PM »

You could also theroetically do an XOR put, but its just as slow, since it has to read the screen anyways, and you use double memory becuase you need a mask too.

The way wizardlife suggested is the best, unless you need to scroll alot, in which case just redraw the backround EVERY frame, have it erase everything, and then draw the sprites on top (like toonski mentioned, layering)

b]Hard Rock[/b]
[The Stars Dev Company] [Metal Qb flopped] [The Terror]
Stop Double Posts!
Whats better? HTML or Variables?
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2003, 12:13:35 PM »

Quote from: "red_Marvin"
Quote from: "wizardlife"

you can always get the background where the sprite should be
placed and when erasing the sprite just PUT the "saved background"-sprite...

That's what Jill uses. You just have an extra buffer measuring the size of each sprite. Instead repainting the whole screen, you just repaint the erased portions. This has something to do with "dirty rectangles", if you wanna code it efficiently.

Jill runs at 60 fps in my 66Mhz CX486DX2, although it uses the "SLOW" DirectQB.

Anyhow, repainting the whole background is not that slow if you done it wisely. And it is mandatory if you are scrolling. I've set up a 3 plane scroll in DirectQB and it runs at full framerate (60 fps) in my 233, so it isn't *that* slow.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Kofman

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2003, 04:17:20 PM »

I haven't considered scrolling yet

иииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииLINEAR INCиииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии
Neo
Na_th_an

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2003, 09:07:36 AM »

Think about it Cheesy
wizardlife
Na_th_an

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2003, 11:25:01 PM »

Quote from: "Neo"
Think about it Cheesy

Or better yet, don't. Better to get the basics working first.

Kofman

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2003, 07:44:55 PM »

Well I finally finished my main charecter for my game.

The game will be based on anime series called Naruto. Which will use it's charecters. That makes design much simpler. I finally finished drawing the main charecter and here he is.

It took me a near two hours to get this done. Please I'm looking for someone to help me out. I have a deadline for this project on June 6th. And I need atleast two animated and working charecters ready. If anyone at this forum would like his or her name in the credit and wouldn't mind helping out please. I really want to get this done. For this project I decided to team up with another kid in the class which makes this project a little more realistic. This is not one of those projects that will get started but never finished. Reason being is that it's my grade.

Please someone help me out here.

Also I'm about to animate this guy. Using wiz, extraction meathod what's the next step. How do I animate and move him?

I do have a version of him in .pcx in the 320 by some what resolution. Just resize him if you'd like.

Kofman

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2003, 08:10:45 PM »

If no one can help than can someone teach me how to animate.

toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2003, 08:22:08 PM »

the drawings or in the game?  in the game there's millions of ways, it's just having all the sprites stored in memory and displaying them in an order.  for instance you might have an 8 frame running animation and then you'd show sprites 1 through 8 over and over when the character is running.  i'd store them in ems/xms memory and use something like a handle to identify it.  most libraries have functions for this.  but if you arent using libraries, your best bet without writing your own sprite blitter is to use multiple dimension arrays like this

dim sprite (4000, 24) as integer

and then use GET/PUT

but all you could get is the very, very limited memory qb (and near memory itself) gives you.

i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Kofman

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2003, 08:25:14 PM »

wiz showed me the dim way. Could you show me some code that I could work with. And also I'm still hoping someone will raise their hand and offer help

Kofman

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2003, 06:58:15 PM »

Is there no where I can go for recruits?

wizardlife
Na_th_an

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2003, 10:20:58 PM »

Is there no where I can go for recruits?

Nope. You're going to need to cut this project down to a size that fits your allotted time and programming skills.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: