Qbasicnews.com
April 05, 2020, 07:51:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: How does one store .gifs and other images without a libary  (Read 10597 times)
Kofman

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2003, 07:22:43 AM »

Thing is it isn't just a network, the computers have a limited hardware (no graphics card) and, don't really have an OS. But I will try tho.

иииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииLINEAR INCиииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии
п-----------------------------------------------------------------------O
From Problem to Solution - We take the shortest distance
ak00ma
Ancient Guru

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2003, 07:33:36 AM »

No graphic card??? How can you see something on your monitor??? And where is the monitor cable plugged in???

B 4 EVER
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2003, 11:10:04 AM »

Quote from: "Kofman"
oh, how many frames would it take to through a jab? 3 or more?

And would I actually animate the frames in the program?

Well, this involve tons of hard work. Pixel art is really difficult. I suggesyt you read some tutorials in animation.

The number of frames is up to you, the frame rate, the detail you want to give and more stuff. Y'know, you can do a walking animation with 3 frames, but the main character of my game Jill has 12, for example.

To animate in your program you just draw subsequent frames one behind another using timers and stuff.

Here is deluxe paint III 3:

http://usuarios.lycos.es/qbsux/utils/dp3.zip

You can use it to produce PCX files that you can load into wiz's program.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Kofman

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2003, 07:49:49 PM »

Oh thank you so much. I think I see, but you haven't answered the question. Would you use Deluxe for the animation too?

Does frame rate drop with longer animations?

akooma: It's onboard video input. Not a graphics card.

иииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииLINEAR INCиииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииииии
toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2003, 10:18:36 PM »

use any gif animator for animation.  you'll only be using it for testing, anyhow (you dont actually import animated gifs into your program, you load it frame by frame into memory, and display it as you go.

i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
wizardlife
Na_th_an

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2003, 10:21:29 PM »

Oh thank you so much. I think I see, but you haven't answered the question. Would you use Deluxe for the animation too?

Does frame rate drop with longer animations?

ASM libs don't make use of the video cards at all. Don't worry about that.

Most walking sprite sets are 6 or 12, depending if the legs cross over. I still think you should take my suggestion and not be concerned with the inbetween frames for now. Just worry about doing the 'extreme' points of moves -- once you get the engine working, it should be straightforward to add extra frames where necessary.

For each move you should have a list of the frames that comprise the move and the number of vsyncs for each to be displayed. (preferably read out of a data file, rather than hardcoded)

Kofman

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2003, 10:29:49 PM »

Thank You both

na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2003, 10:31:35 PM »

I think you don't quite understand how animations are done in a game. In a program, you have several sprites and you cycle among them. So your drawing program doesn't need to be an animation program. You just draw every frame separately, and then animate them on your program.

Look at this: When I made "jill the goddes" I took deluxe paint and made this bitmap:

In my program, I load up this bitmap and I GET every frame. When I am animating the character, I just draw the current frame, and increase a counter.

It can be handy if your program has animation, just for testing purposes.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Kofman

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2003, 11:30:50 PM »

god you guys are talented.

well I'm going to try drawing these guys.

Can you tell me if this technique could work

using photoshop

1. I would draw a pose

2. scan

3. downsize

4. than pixel

and then drop into a another file and save as .pcx

wizardlife
Na_th_an

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2003, 12:17:34 AM »

Too much trouble. Just use DPaint from the start. You're pixel-drawing anyways. If you try to do scanning and then psp and stuff, you'll just get your palettes all messed up and make a jolly mess. You have more control if you go pixel*pixel anyways.

ak00ma
Ancient Guru

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2003, 03:01:48 AM »

Oh,...,I've just wondered...

B 4 EVER
Kofman

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2003, 07:14:36 AM »

Cheesy

Kofman

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2003, 01:18:15 AM »

Quote from: "na_th_an"
I think you don't quite understand how animations are done in a game. In a program, you have several sprites and you cycle among them. So your drawing program doesn't need to be an animation program. You just draw every frame separately, and then animate them on your program.

Look at this: When I made "jill the goddes" I took deluxe paint and made this bitmap:

In my program, I load up this bitmap and I GET every frame. When I am animating the character, I just draw the current frame, and increase a counter.

It can be handy if your program has animation, just for testing purposes.

I have a question. Let's take on this sanerio. You have a pretty background. You have sprites that have transperency ofcoarse, and you animate them. How do you erase one sprite fromt he screen without messing up the bg? Since you can't simply drop the new sprite onto the old becuase both have transperencies and part of the old would show off the new. How would you solve this?

wizardlife
Na_th_an

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2003, 02:30:10 AM »

You need to do buffering... You prepare the entire screen in memory before copying it to the screen. So the background is stored in a buffer, and you copy that to your double buffer, draw all your stuff on it, and then copy it to the screen. Rinse & repeat.

Kofman

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2003, 10:20:17 AM »

Wouldn't the game be somewhat slow if you forced it to do that every single time. Rinse and Repeat that is.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: