Qbasicnews.com
December 16, 2019, 10:13:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Challenge  (Read 11742 times)
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« on: February 20, 2003, 11:25:50 PM »

I want a new contest. Preferrably non-screensaver.

18 line game?

24 line game?

:-?

Do away with (insert small number here)-lines all together?

Maybe under 50 line something?

Dunno.

Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
BinarySHOCK
Forum Regular

Hmm
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 03:04:46 AM »

i like the sound of <= 64 lines, but that's me

very F***ing song remains the same
To everyone who sucks-up for the fame
Out of strength you know we speak the truth
Every trend that dies is living proof

MasterMinds Software
red_Marvin
Na_th_an

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 07:30:57 PM »

64 is nice because it's a power of two witch all computers is built on
*dreams away in a pink computerromantic mist*

/post]
toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 07:38:28 PM »

i'm tired of line limits.  how about this:

you must tweak the gameplay of one of the old ball/paddle games (pong, breakout, etc) to make it more interesting.  this contest will be based entirely on gameplay, not graphics, so low-res line/circle graphics will be judged on par with those with fancy sprites and are recommended.  milo sedlack's multikey and seav's timer are permitted for use to jump the hurdle, but no other external code (including libraries) may be used.  try to be as creative as you can, but dont let that limit how fun the game is.

i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
Agamemnus
x/ \z

:|
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 12:19:37 AM »

Maybe. I dunno.

I am thinking of redoing my pong game but I am having trouble with collision detection. Problems occur when the PADDLE moves INSIDE the ball...

Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

R@dioman
Ancient QBer

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 01:20:58 AM »

Well since I've seen some pretty impressive stuff using only 9 lines where every line is valuable and unsparable, having even 2 or 3 more lines would will be like getting gold. But I would say 20 lines max because with up to 64 lines you can proabably construct a simple 3D raycaster. It defies the point of the challenge.

toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2003, 10:12:20 AM »

actually, rel designed a simple 3d raycaster in 13 lines Cheesy

i]"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum ... you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"[/i] - Dirty Harry
toonski84
__/--\__

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2003, 07:18:09 PM »

okay: poll time

a: 64 line game
b: 20 line game
c: ball/paddle remake
d: other (specify)

read the above threads before you post.  respond with a letter.  explain if you have another idea, it will be added to the poll.

R@dioman
Ancient QBer

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2003, 09:07:19 PM »

like I said, 20 lines should be enough to see some pretty impressive stuff. Rel, show me that 13 line raycaster :bounce:

BlueKeyboard
Wandering Guru

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2003, 08:52:25 AM »

b, 20.

Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2003, 12:32:13 AM »

something having to do with cool algorithmiclyish stuff...

Mech1031
Na_th_an

?
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2003, 05:44:00 PM »

does this include subs?

the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
Neo
Na_th_an

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2003, 07:54:44 AM »

I choose D, other!

WT are you all murring about? About 20 uncompiled lines, or 64 ASCII characters? Why don't you just use FILE SIZE! I think that is much more relative.

How about sth like this ;-):
a. 1024 bytes BAS
b. 128 kB EXE
c. 64 kB EXE
d. Other (specify)
wizardlife
Na_th_an

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2003, 05:16:01 PM »

Quote from: "Neo"
I choose D, other!

WT are you all murring about? About 20 uncompiled lines, or 64 ASCII characters? Why don't you just use FILE SIZE! I think that is much more relative.

How about sth like this ;-):
a. 1024 bytes BAS
b. 128 kB EXE
c. 64 kB EXE
d. Other (specify)

Better to go by BAS... most of us have no idea how to control compiled size. The ASMers would dominate.

Rather than this size restriction, I think it would be more interesting to do make other sorts of restrictions:

"Make a game that takes only two controls... and is still fun"
"Make an entertaining graphical demo in screen 1"
"Make a game in which the player is an equilateral triangle..."
"Make a text-based ascii paint program in screen 0"
"Make a title screen for a fictitous game without using libs or external files (no image loading)"

LooseCaboose
I hold this place together

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2003, 07:49:49 PM »

Obfuscated QB contest!!

See if you can create a QB program that is as difficult to understand as possible. To make it a real contest of skill you cant use hardware access things like peek, poke, inp, large strings of hex code, etc.

Obfuscation techniques included code that does something different to what appears at first glance, misuse of variables and statements, clever use of things like the AND, OR and NOT operators, short obscure variable names, complex algorithms, lack of or misuse of indentation, etc.

An obfuscated program can do anything, but must be difficult for somebody else to convert to (unwind) clear, readable code.

Im not sure how well QB lends itself to obfuscation but its worth a try. The International Obfuscated C Code Contest has been running for several years now, check out http://www.ioccc.org/

esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: