Qbasicnews.com
May 26, 2020, 06:52:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A neato project Idea (can it be done?!)  (Read 6969 times)
NovaProgramming
Been there, done that

« on: February 20, 2003, 02:57:24 PM »

Hey guys, I don't think that this is possible, but if it is I would appreciate some help with it.  I was just wondering if it was possible to create sort of an on-line qbasic thingy.... You know, that you could go onto the site and program a qbasic program without having qbasic on your system!?

I m always willing to show off the the many people who find it 'fascinating' that I can program my own games, but now all the time you can't even find CPROMPT on any XP comps hardly anymore, and even if you can QBASIC no longer comes standard with it...

So, if anyone knows if it is even remotely possible to do this, you could respond to this forum or EMAIL ME
Nova@edgeemu.com
It might be awhile before I have the oppurtunity to get back to you but if the chance arrises I would be glad to take it.  Thank you much.

-Nova

ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls.  The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote from: "Haye, Phillip J."
 Excellent.  Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 03:42:08 PM »

Wasn't this post already in the projects section ? Cheesy:D:D:D:D:D

My two pence: This is possible, but extremely hard. You'll have to set up a dedicated server under Windows 2000 or XP (which is like a suicide) with a extremely hard to beat firewall and some dedicated apps to manage connections...

Too hard for me to even think about the possibilities Smiley

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 03:52:47 PM »

Actually it is QUITE easy.

All you need is an extra computer, an internet connection, and VNC. VNC allows you to both see and edit what is on the screen of the other computer. It is a Java program. You can actually make programs with it on another computer!

You need to know that computer's IP to access it, and a password that you make.

Jsimpson has a project thread in qb45.com about it.

Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

Visit www.neobasic.net to see rubbish in all its finest.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 08:11:38 PM »

But you need a fast server. Imagine your computer being attacked by 100 people from all over the work using a DOS program (QB) to compile... If one of them make the computer crash, goodbye server.

Is not that easy.

Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 11:21:25 PM »

well you can get *small* groups to work together.

Otherwise you can code various backup programs.....

Peace cannot be obtained without war. Why? If there is already peace, it is unnecessary for war. If there is no peace, there is already war."

westie

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 08:35:11 AM »

a password to access the server? a block to stop overcrowding?

it would be good if you could go on it and work on the same file at the same time with another person

img]http://forums.rleague.com/images/avatars/westsig.gif[/img]

go the mighty maggies.
(thanks yakstorm)

i regularly visit a rugby league version of these forums. i have amassed almost 2k worth of messages.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2003, 09:07:33 AM »

You've lost the point. The real problem is that it is a MSDOS program. QB crashes -> the whole server crashes. If you think it is possible, go for it. But I don't think it is.

Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2003, 10:34:28 AM »

It's still fine if you know what you're doing.

I haven't crashed QB/DOs in 10 years of QB programming.

eDIT: I mean QB AND DOS AND WINDOWS HEHEHE!!!

na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2003, 12:33:26 PM »

QB crashes if you use Sound Blaster stuff, memory access, memcopy routines, and huge projects with 200K+ EXE sizes. Maybe you are the best coder in the world having QB not crashing in 10 years, but building such a server assumes that someone could log in and use it, not being such a good coder as you are. Anyway, if you know how to do it, do it.

Now try to run 15 QBs in your computer in 15 DOS boxes. Run a different game in each one. And tell me what happens. Can you handle each different game accessing to Sound Blaster? Can you handle all the keyboard stuff? How many RAM will they eat?

Also, how fast should be an internet connection to transfer pictures and sound in REAL TIME to the end-user PC... And at 30 fps or something like that to make games playable, and that for each one of the 15 users.

The average QB game needs a PII-400 to work at full speed. Imagine 15 QB games at the same time.

Maybe you didn't read the project completely. It is impossible, at least you do a dummy server which run text console programs which input and output text.

In my college we have a BIG computer with 4 RISC processors at 600Mhz each one, running SUN OS (Unix) and connected to the outside with a 9Mbps+ optic fiber connection. I live at 200 metres from school, and when I connect to my account in that computer thru' telnet the connection is laggy. And I am talking about console input/output in a small window... Imagine a complete featured DOS program wiht sound and hi-res graphics......

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE MAN -- I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E

Agamemnus
x/ \z

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2003, 12:48:20 PM »

Well... to actually show the code, it IS possible!!! Say 4 people max.. He probably just needs only one other person. If there was just ONE screen and everyone was looking at it...

Say a 320x200x256 resolution. it wouldn't take that much processing to send it out. It's like a GIF.. otherwise a JPG.

I played with jsimpson's server... went fine. I wrestled for the cursor with him for a bit. [shared cursor]

Smiley

I have DSL so I'm not sure what 56K looks like. But the image is not bad if compressed to JPG.

:bounce:

---------------------------------
  About the UNIX Server
---------------------------------

Yeah, my university handles everything through a bunch of UNIX computers that can be all accessed through the internet or the monitors connected to them. But they are rather slow, partly due to the fact that there aren't enough computers/processing power.

So what you need is more power. Smiley

NovaProgramming
Been there, done that

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2003, 02:59:35 PM »

WOW guys jeez I didn't think that it would trigger such a response so fast.  However, that one idea about having an extra computer with the java program might work because the purpose that I was trying to achieve (initially) is that I can access the qbasic screen to be able to program at any time I want.  Thanks for your input but i got to go so bye!

-Nova

ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls.  The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote from: "Haye, Phillip J."
 Excellent.  Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------
TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2003, 10:20:34 AM »

Why so many negative responses? I think it is very well possible it will involve rewriting the whole QB compiler from scratch in Java. And add it to the user's machine as a plugin. But I think the user who is intrested in QB would rather download VMWare or setup a separate DOS partition.( Am i too sounding a bit -ve ? )  :roll:
oracle
*/-\*

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2003, 07:21:10 PM »

Would it be feasable to set up a linux server using DOSEMU?

Though I don't know why you'd want to have 15 people programming entirely online. You'd use it as a sort of "CVS" (unix people know what I'm talking about), and then you'd have chat running with some other guy and you could both look at the program in real time, and then you'd edit the program online if there were any bugs.

I wouldn't program online because I "could", and many other people would feel the same way. But I think that a "CVS" program for QBasic would be really good.

TheBigBasicQ
*/-\*

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2003, 07:40:31 AM »

Quote from: "oracle"
Would it be feasable to set up a linux server using DOSEMU?

Though I don't know why you'd want to have 15 people programming entirely online. You'd use it as a sort of "CVS" (unix people know what I'm talking about), and then you'd have chat running with some other guy and you could both look at the program in real time, and then you'd edit the program online if there were any bugs.

I wouldn't program online because I "could", and many other people would feel the same way. But I think that a "CVS" program for QBasic would be really good.

Really speaking most people still have dial ups so I dont think it would be too popular. And you will require a really fast server to pull this off if u decide to.  :king:
red_Marvin
Na_th_an

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2003, 09:34:57 AM »

QB VM in java? hard=yes but I think it's possible technically

/post]
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: