Straying to C++

(1/5) > >>

fox:
Hi all.  It's been awhile since I've posted here because I've forayed into the world of C++ programming (sacrilige!).
To all those QB programmers out there who are, like I was, terrified of the thought of having to learn a new programming language, fear not.  C++ is unbelievably easy to learn.
I also used to say that C++ is long and tedious to program in, but there isn't really all that much more code to enter.
When I only knew QB, a smooth pixel*pixel scroller with flickerless animation and a 60FPS framerate was a thing of my dreams (being a purist and not liking libraries).  I have only been learning C++ for a MONTH and have already accomplished this.  

But to the point....  Who else here has found that a solid beginning in QBasic has aided their ability to move on to C++?

Try it!  I urge you all.  But never forget where you came from.

SJ Zero:
I started off in C, couldn't get a damn sample program to compile, and gave up programming altogether until I started playing with QB.

(as for your dreams, check out Quest for a King at http://powerusr.sphosting.com/ for my engine. It gets 60FPS on a 233. Perhaps not the greatest feat ever achieved by human hands, but it *is* pure QB.)

I stick with QB because it's fun and easy to program in. C-alikes can't really say that about themselves. In spite of everything, I can still pick up code from 2 or 3 years ago in QB and understand it,  but the same code in C usually has me scratching my head. Just the nature of the syntax.

Piptol:
Quote from: "fox"

But to the point....  Who else here has found that a solid beginning in QBasic has aided their ability to move on to C++?

Try it!  I urge you all.  But never forget where you came from.

Yup, I'm working on my 1st C++ game. Or at least, I will be soon ;) Once you can program in any lang, the same basic principles apply. The main diff between these langs is OOP, and once you learn that, Bob's your mothers brother :) Very useful it is too.

Agamemnus:
YOU FOX! (Er, Piptol AND fox) All I need is some decent string handling routines and a pset, and a PRINT. THEN I'll use C++.

(sorry, your avatar is quite comical)

fox:
If you include the header file "IOSTREAM.H" you can use this for print:

cout<<"Text Here";    same as print "Text Here";

cout<<"Text Here"<<endl;  same as print "Text Here"

The pset routine is quite easy (especially if you are using an offscreen buffer) and there is a graphics header call graphics.h which allows you to program in "SCREEN 12". I wrote my own drawing functions for screen 13.

If you need any help email me at:

makk@iprimus.com.au.

I'd be happy to send you a copy of my header files.

You will need somthing like Borland Turbo C++ 3.0 (not MS Visual C++, becasue they don't allow DOS".

As for string functions.  I assume you want LEN, INSTR, RIGHT$, LEFT$ etc.

They are all supported in a different way.  Some of them you have to write small SUBS for.  I have an excellent C++ tutorial I would be happy to send you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page