Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 16, 2017, 08:45:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Qbasicnews.com  |  QBasic  |  QB Projects  |  Topic: Cobra « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Poll
Question: Should I include Qbasic Cameos?
Yes   -9 (100%)
Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Cobra  (Read 57888 times)
Rokkuman
Na_th_an

Cobra
« on: December 13, 2002, 10:37:44 PM »

Hey, I'm making a fighting game called Cobra which is in my opinion, the best fighting game for QB. I want it to compete with QB BAttle arena which I might lose against but anyway, I want to know if anyone has any ideas for it. Character designs, moves, stages, anything. My game features side scrolling and probably the first to have high rising vertical jumping, (like most of capcom and marvel's vs series) I have five characters done so far, so if you have any ideas, let me know.

EDIT: *cries*

EDIT: Hey! It's been two years since I made this post. Awesome.
Hexadecimal Disaster
Been there, done that

Re: The Best Fighting Game: Cobra!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 12:13:00 AM »

Quote from: "Megaman"
I want it to compete with QB Battle arena which I might lose against...

Wow! Very optimistic about your game, I see.  :-?

It wouldn't be the first time that some QB project is cancelled, and if -by some unexpected thing- Vance's brawler is cancelled/delayed... you can be the only winner! (Vance probably will finish his game before you, but hey!, think positive! )

So you want suggestions? Just watch your favorite fighting game and try to implement as many features you can!

Anyways. Where can I download the demo?  :wink:

img]http://usuarios.vtr.net/~disaster/sigs/annoyizer.php[/img]
LooseCaboose
I hold this place together

Cobra
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 12:49:12 AM »

I am in the process of implementing flat EMS memory handling into QBDBZ. I have functions that work in a similar fashion to C's malloc and free which allows me to allocate a block of memory in flat EMS and return a pointer to it. All of the player data tables have now been pushed into upper memory, which leaves me with absolutely (fingers crossed) no memory hassles and allows characters to have hundreds of moves and very complex move animation.

Team fight is a cool option, players select more than one character (mine allows up to 5) and when a character is killed, the next jumps in to take their place. Unbalanced teams (ie 5 on 3) can help novice players or make for harder difficulty levels. You could also do a tag-team mode.

Special moves are probably the make and break for fighting games, players like characters to have lots of em, and for different characters to have different moves. A fighting game quickly gets boring if every character has the same slide kick, fire ball and uppercut. Supers, combos, power struggles and finishing moves all enhance a fighting games fun factor and replay value.

Mortal Kombat 4 had weapons which was an interesting idea. Bonus rounds (like street fighters car smashing stage) are always fun. Secret stuff (levels, characters, gimmicks) can make a game more interesting and add a bit of replay value. A good story doesnt hurt either.  

Good luck with the game

esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
Hexadecimal Disaster
Been there, done that

Cobra
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2002, 12:54:14 AM »

Quote from: "LooseCaboose"
I have functions that work in a similar fashion to C's malloc and free which allows me to allocate a block of memory in flat EMS and return a pointer to it.

Oh! Just note that this's QB and not C. So cross your fingers... and your toes too.  Cheesy

wizardlife
Na_th_an

Cobra
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2002, 01:09:05 AM »

I want to make a vertex-only (skeleton-model) fighting game sometime... I think QB is just a little too slow, though... even for that...

Rokkuman
Na_th_an

Come on...
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2002, 03:49:57 AM »

----Erased message be cause he cringes in pain every time he reads it because it made abselutely no sense to post it in the first place...---
Ryan
Wandering Guru

Best fighting game...
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2002, 04:33:23 AM »

The absolute best fighting game I've played in QB is SFB2: Vector Warriors by Kevin Reems.  It is 3D wire frame with particle effects and animated levels (and fast, too).  Pretty cool stuff.  If anyone knows a download site for it (I've seen one or two) could they post it?  If not, I can zip and upload the copy on my HD.
Antoni Gual
Na_th_an

Cobra
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2002, 12:26:28 PM »

Kevin Reems's page is at
http://members.cox.net/kreems/
It does'nt work at all in Opera and tries to download something in IE, a thing I will not allow in my computer. If anyone is  willing to take the risk...

Antoni
Ryan
Wandering Guru

His page
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2002, 05:00:35 PM »

Very fancy layout with a lot of Javascript stuff going on.. and some other things, but I'm not too familiar with it all.  Smiley  He does have a download for Vector Warriors there, and some screenshots though they're messed up GIFs.  The page loads at an IP address, so I'm not sure if this link will work or whatever, but here's the download:

http://68.7.40.166:81/Expression/downloads/sfb2-104.zip
_Bill_
Wandering Guru

Cobra
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2002, 05:49:26 PM »

Yep it works.

o, let me get this straight.  You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you are completely sane?! -A.J. Rimmer
Hexadecimal Disaster
Been there, done that

Cobra
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2002, 06:18:31 PM »

The first time I saw that game I couldn't manage it to run. Gonna try again...  Sad

EDITED: Now this time it worked. Really nice, but confusing sometimes. The fact that some people thinks that "Mortal Kombat" is a good game is scary, though.  Shocked

na_th_an
*/-\*

Cobra
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2002, 07:39:19 PM »

Really Scary

Has Mortal Kombat any *good* feature?

Nothing to do against SF series, KOF series, FF series, ... ... ... I still love my one and only Street Fighter 1:

Should I start a QB version of SF1, now that QB Fighting Games are in fashion? Cheesy:D Naaah... I have some project involving little funny pigs...

Later...

The most difficult thing I've found when I ever though of making a fighting game is the variable-sized sprite feature. I can think on several sollutions, but none of them would be completely satisfactory. What have you done, guys, to solve this? Are you using some kind of sprite editor to place center/action points in the sprites? What kind of data structures are you using?

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
Rokkuman
Na_th_an

You say you want cameos.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2002, 08:20:50 PM »

You all say that you want Qbasic cameos. I know Nathan wanted Jill, so who else should I include. Don't put too many, because the majority of the game's characters are original.
na_th_an
*/-\*

Cobra
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2002, 12:38:10 AM »

I dunno if this will be useful, but anyway here it is:

Those are Jill The Goddess' original graphics. 16 colours so easy to port to another pals.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
LooseCaboose
I hold this place together

Cobra
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2002, 01:14:15 AM »

The most difficult thing I've found when I ever though of making a fighting game is the variable-sized sprite feature. I can think on several sollutions, but none of them would be completely satisfactory. What have you done, guys, to solve this? Are you using some kind of sprite editor to place center/action points in the sprites? What kind of data structures are you using?

I have sprite tables loaded for each character (these are now in EMS since they are generally only read from). A sprite table entry stores the width and height of the image, an x and y offset (this for instance allows frieza to float above the ground) and the hit and attack regions.

I chose this approach because it was simple and flexible. The hit and attack regions (boxes) help fix bounding box collision problems (ie some kick frames have heaps of empty space in them). The spriteTable also stores a page and offsets to grab the sprite from (sprites are all stored on 'plates' in EMS video layers). To save memory and time, each frame is only sprite is only stored facing left and can be flipped (thanks to DQB) during rendering.

The different coloured character clothing for mirror matches is done with DQBs blender map feature. The blender map is applied when the character is loaded and then freed so that it doesnt take up any memory. I will most probably release the source for the game with the next release, including the tools (once I tidy them up) I use for creating characters. My game engine is flexible enough to allow people to easily create other fighting games using it.

esus saves.... Passes to Moses, shoots, he scores!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print 
Qbasicnews.com  |  QBasic  |  QB Projects  |  Topic: Cobra « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length