Qbasicnews.com
November 25, 2017, 03:00:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which is better?  (Voting closed: April 02, 2007, 09:12:46 PM)
Photoshop - 8 (66.7%)
Gimp - 4 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Photoshop vs Gimp  (Read 17343 times)
wallace
Wandering Guru

« on: April 02, 2007, 09:12:46 PM »

Which is better?  I need one of them for my next graphics class, i can get Photoshop for next to nothing from the school so price isn't a problem.

f you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices.  The scary part is that if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:57:39 PM »

Photoshop. If you can get it for next to nothing, do it. You can always get gimp later.

I've been trying Gimp, but it's an older version because of a specific plugin I'm using, so I can't really tell you which is better.

In the beginning, there is darkness the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
zoasterboy
Guru

Personal Text!

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:10:24 PM »

Personaly I like Gimp, but I think Photoshop is a little more user friendly.

-yah
Mech1031
Na_th_an

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 02:53:14 AM »

Fine and liberal arts major right here Cheesy

Photoshop, no contest.  Honestly you can fool around with gimp all you want, but if you're looking for something for school or serious projects then gimp doesn't even exist.

Photoshop: Versatility, Productive/efficient, Powerful, Works extremely well with input devices like tablets and scanners, and if you have the power it's extremely fast.

Gimp: Sluggish on a system other than linux, Has a hard time with input devices, Not so user friendly, Somewhat limited, Requires an immense amount of time building a library of brushes and plugins, whereas photoshop comes with alot of what you need right away.

I don't understand why Gimp gets so much praise for being better than photoshop.  Obviously it's free, but thats what you get.  Free software, of course it's not going to be nearly as good as a professionally made product, ESPECIALLY one as complex as photoshop.

the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 07:34:50 AM »

Now, you're not being fair to gimp. I know it's not quite as good as photoshop, but still, you needn't pound it into the ground like that. I use it on Windows and it works fine for me.

In the beginning, there is darkness the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Mech1031
Na_th_an

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 09:53:45 AM »

it's a comparison, i'm not pounding it to the ground.  if i wanted to pound it to the ground i'd make fun of the little foxbadgerwhatever it is logo Cheesy

I was just pointing out what is generally involved with gimp on a windows machine.   It does have a hard time with input devices, if he's running XP or Vista then yes, it almost always tends to be sluggish.  And Gimp doesn't come with alot of brushes or plug-ins, so he would need to download alot of them.

what exactly did i say that wasn't fair?

the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 11:22:03 AM »

Like I said. It runs fine on XP for me, not sluggish at all. It loads about as fast as most Adobe products, too.

And it's not a foxbadgerwhatever, it's a gimp.

Kevin_theprogrammer
Ancient Guru

Mister Chaucer

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 01:35:02 PM »

Pixel/Photoshop/Fireworks(interface) > GIMP

^ Infrosoft
http://www.thecodeyouneed.us.to/ - A wiki of source code, mostly in PHP and FreeBASIC
http://www.osadvocacy.uk.to/ - Your opinion matters no matter your OS
wallace
Wandering Guru

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 04:51:48 PM »

I'm running it on OSX and don't need many devices, probably just my scanner, which I have already have a driver for.

f you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices.  The scary part is that if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
Mech1031
Na_th_an

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 06:29:59 PM »

Skyler:  as i said, generally.  you're obviously an exception so don't get so uptight about it.

Wallace:  If you're running OSX then why wouldn't you use Photoshop?  You've got plenty of applications that work with it flawlessly already probably.  if not you may end up getting them in the future.  You'll learn that other Adobe products make things easier like:

Illustrator, GoLive, Acrobat, InDesign, Photoshop.  They'll all work together flawlessly especially in OSX

Illustrator, GoLive, Acrobat,InDesign, Gimp.  That however won't go over as well.  Even just putting Gimp in with a bunch of other open source stuff or mixed programs won't go together as well as AdobeSuite.  So just keep in mind what you might get in the future as a result of this decision.  cause outside of the school price, photoshop isn't cheap.  more or less this is a good opportunity for you to get a great product (to go along with a potentially great collection of software) at a cheap price.

Deleter
Na_th_an

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 07:49:55 PM »

Well since im not a gfx aficiando, gimp is all I need. But cost is mostly what drives me here  :cash: I've never had the money to buy it and I don't care for stealing softy. If I was more into graphics I would probably check out photoshop. As it is I've never needed gimp to do anything that it couldn't. And it doesnt act sluggish on xp for me, so I dunno what you're talking about.

Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 07:42:21 AM »

*sigh* So I'm not an exception after all.

Mech1031
Na_th_an

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 09:58:04 AM »

don't flatter yourself.  exceptions can include more than one person Wink

and i know plenty of people who it runs slow for.

Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 11:07:30 AM »

Maybe they're the exception.

P.S. This is Gimp:

Mech1031
Na_th_an

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 01:05:48 PM »

...nah, i'm pretty sure it's the other way around.  so far it's basically everyone at my college versus you two.

P.S.  This is Photoshop:

(Source: here

Also:  I'm honestly not ripping on Gimp acting like it's shit.  It's a decent graphics program, but it's just not as good as Photoshop is.  And before you argue that point, then ask yourself why would Photoshop be the industry standard if Gimp is just as good, and free?

Because it isn't, and it won't be.  Adobe has a huge team of developers who get paid to do their jobs, and they do them very very well.  Gimp has a team of people who contribute to it's software on a regular basis, but they all aren't collaborating together.  Features are being added left and right from completely different people.  It just doesn't integrate as well.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: