Qbasicnews.com
November 15, 2019, 09:33:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please use thread "SOLVED! The old battle..."  (Read 6673 times)
Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 09:25:26 PM »

That's the whole point of creating an AI- a program which is "living", or sentient.

After all, isn't everything following a certain set of rules? It's just that different things follow different sets of rules. Our job is to give the computer a set of rules as similar as possible to that followed by the human mind.

In the beginning, there is darkness the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Ralph
Ancient Guru

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 10:12:35 PM »

You know, Skyler, you may be right!  Every body and every thing probably DO follow a "certain set of rules".  Then, when we can know and understand a particular set of rules for a particular item, as for a falling object in a gravitational field, we call those rules, laws, etc., and, when they are not, at least at present, known or understood, as in thinking, we call that sentiencientcy, or thought, etc.  After all, we have come a long way, since the very early days, in which every thing that happened was explained as being produced by a god.  Now, we hardly ever use that explanation any more.  So, I guess we can say that we have been on a true, more and more knowledge curve, so that we may even extrapolate knowing so much, that we can make a computer with a complexity approaching that of the human mind.  For the present, we are just starting on that path, with a computer available to almost anyone only some 25 years or so, just barely distinguisable from time zero!  So, I will join you in prognosticating great advances in AI as time passes and more is understood and done  on the subject.

Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 12:06:11 AM »

With today's processors, though, one would pretty much need a supercomputer to manage all those rules. I plan to build a Beowulf cluster in my basement, once I'm out of college and have a basement to build one in. That would hopefully be a good starting point, not to mention beneficial to my work with Blender!

In the beginning, there is darkness the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
Ralph
Ancient Guru

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 02:12:39 AM »

Two questions:

1. What is a Beowulf duster?  
2. Who or what is Blender?  Me, I worked with Bechtel Corp., a large engineering firm that plans, designs, builds, manages, runs, and owns large engineering projects.  And that is a reduced explanation of who and what that compny is.  It started by helping to build Boulder Dam, then built the Golden Gate Bridge, and managed the construction of the Chunnel!

Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 08:10:10 AM »

A Beowulf cluster is a bunch of computers networked together and programmed to split tasks between the processors to speed up big jobs. Also called parallel computing.

Blender 3d is a 3d modeling/animating program. Particle sims tend to take a while to render on my laptop.

Ralph
Ancient Guru

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 12:05:54 PM »

Blender 3-D?  Back in the late 80's, early 90's, Bechtel Corp. was developing an in-house 3-D program. It modeled large industrial buildings, allowing one to do a walk-through, as if a person was actually walking through the building.  One could turn the view, as if it were a person turning his head, in any direction, as well as "walk" in any direction.  Zooming-in was also possible.  The program was used to detect any space intrution of the various parts in the design, such as steam, water, air, electric, and other systems' piping, vessels, and trays.  Once, I recall, it was used to great advantage in plotting the movements to carry out in removing a large generator from a very congested building, in such a manner that no "bumps" would occur.  The virtual removal of the generator was recorded, then applied to the real task of removal, with 100% success!  This much I picked up, but I was not involved in any way with any part of that program, nor did I ever used it.  Stll, I remember how impressed I was!  May your program be equally useful and successful, Skyler.  I bet Bechtel could use your talents, too!

Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 12:50:54 PM »

Maybe. That program sounds a lot like a video game. Is it available for download?

Ralph
Ancient Guru

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »

Available for downloading?  Are you kidding?  That program is a very valuble engineering tool.  It probably is available for lease, at $10,000 or so per year, I imagine, as many super engineering programs are.  Or, if you worked for Bechtel, in the appropriate department, you might just have access to its use, for specific instances.

Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »

Hmm... the IT department?

Ralph
Ancient Guru

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 02:20:45 PM »

The IT department, or the Project Engineering department would be a good start!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: