Qbasicnews.com
May 27, 2018, 04:49:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Rain Simulation for $20  (Read 13350 times)
NovaProgramming
Been there, done that

« on: December 07, 2006, 01:38:33 PM »

Hello there everyone.  I have created a rain simulator.  It's not the greatest thing in the world, but all of my computer-illiterate friends think that it's absouletely amazing.  Here's how it went down:  Eric was asking me, nay, begging me:  "Make rain!!"  I kept telling him I didn't have time or whatever other excuse I could come up with, until finally I broke down and did as he asked.  Here is the finished result, in .SCR format so that it can be inserted into WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 to use as a screensaver.  Yep.  So basically it took me one hour to make.. and Eric gave me $20 for it.  So that means I just made $20 an hour.  That's pretty sweet.

http://fileanchor.com/83585-d

ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls.  The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote from: "Haye, Phillip J."
 Excellent.  Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------
Radical Raccoon
I hold this place together

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 08:54:22 PM »

Cool

axipher
Ancient Guru

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 01:01:57 AM »

That is pretty sweet.  Do you have the source though, I'd like add a few things and maybe actually use it as a screensaver.  I'm thinkin variable wind, strength and a background.
Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:34:52 PM »

1. Your link isn't working.

2. How do you make a .scr screensaver?

3. Can you make a screensaver play an AVI?
I'm into Blender, and I'd like to make a screensaver out of some of my anims.

In the beginning, there is darkness the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
TheDarkJay

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 05:09:15 PM »

I can answer 2 and 3:

2) Rename the .exe to .scr and use -s gui to remove the command prompt
3) Look for ways to play .avi's using FreeBASIC. Since a .scr is a renamed .exe that's all they is too it Cheesy

url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][/url]
NecrosIhsan
Been there, done that

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 02:42:31 AM »

There's more to it than just renaming the exe to scr, although that is one step...might wanna look this stuff up. Cheesy

\__/)
(='.'=) Copy bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination.
TheDarkJay

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 04:33:50 AM »

It'll work as a screensaver if just renamed Tongue

It's just if you wanna get it to preview that you have to do a bit (read lot) more Smiley

url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][/url]
barok
Na_th_an

How about a tasty lead sandwich?

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 06:50:43 AM »

heh... reminds me when i created a particle engine last year and made it make rain, snow, fireworks and a fountain.  They were shocked. Tongue

it's a bit flickery, but the lightning and puddles are a very nice touch. Smiley

Jumping Jahoolipers!
Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 04:10:41 PM »

I tried a while ago to get a QB program to work as a screensaver. It didn't work when I renamed it.

In the beginning, there is darkness the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
NovaProgramming
Been there, done that

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 02:21:17 PM »

Um... it IS my laptop's screensaver, and all I did was go into command prompt and say "rename rain.exe rain.scr"  and then copy it into windows/system32 and it works....

I know it's a bit flickery; but that's okay with me.  I have the source on my laptop, so I'll post it sometime when I'm on my laptop again Wink.  Overall, it was a pretty easy $20.

ovaProgramming.

One night I had a dream where I was breaking balls.  The next morning, BALLSBREAKER was born.

Quote from: "Haye, Phillip J."
 Excellent.  Now you can have things without paying for them.

BALLSBREAKER 2
~-_-Status Report-_-~
Engine: 94%
Graphics: 95%
Sound: 100%
A Severe Error has crippled BB2 for the time being... I have to figure it out, but until then you won't see much of it Sad.
-----------------------------
spaz_man2

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 06:43:55 AM »

You're supposed to use the Windows API to make a program a screen saver, which is pure hell to learn or use.

url=http://qblide.forumer.com]QBLIDE lives here. Sign up and be spared. Refuse and be shot.[/url]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who says I have a limited attention span? Oh look, a rock!
Skyler
Ancient Guru

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 03:55:52 PM »

I right-clicked and selected "rename" then changed the extension to .scr. but it didn't work.

TheAdventMaster
Ancient Guru

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 10:43:43 PM »

Quote from: "Skyler"
I right-clicked and selected "rename" then changed the extension to .scr. but it didn't work.
Well apparently you can't brain today.

You're supposed to use the Windows API to make a program a screen saver, which is pure hell to learn or use
The windows API is like, child's play.
Torahteen
Ancient Guru

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 11:31:54 PM »

You do NOT have to use the WinAPI to make a screensaver Wink. Just ask Rattrapmax6.

quote="Deleter"]judging gameplay, you can adaquately compare quake 4 with pong[/quote]
spaz_man2

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 11:36:15 PM »

I said you're supposed to, doesn't mean you have to.

url=http://qblide.forumer.com]QBLIDE lives here. Sign up and be spared. Refuse and be shot.[/url]

Who says I have a limited attention span? Oh look, a rock!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: