Qbasicnews.com
December 09, 2021, 11:00:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Broken Key"  (Read 9087 times)
jsmith71
Been there, done that

« on: September 08, 2006, 03:40:52 AM »

This is a cover of one of cha0s's songs. It was originally for a video game project we were going to work on called "Key". It never got off the ground, hence this song's title. (I don't think it originally had an official title apart from "Big Bad Boss Music")

Linkage:
http://fileanchor.com/60237-d

Apologies for the shitty rhythm guitar tone (and weak production), my amp doesn't cut through a crowded mix like this very well.

Equipment used:

ESP LDT MH-50 guitar in drop-d. Strings: 9s
Fender 15g fifteen watt amp with a broken speaker, using a tiny little yamaga g10 ten-watter as its speaker, lined through its headphone port with a spare patch cable. Actually sounds alot better than you'd think.

All guitar parts played by me-- fully, no loops or cut-up takes. The drums are just lifted from the original, but replaced with better samples. All the orchestral layers/keyboards (and bass guitar) are preserved from the original.

There's some sloppy guitar work (rhythm guitar especially), I attribute that to just wanting to get it done and not really caring much by this point. Tongue
Mech1031
Na_th_an

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 03:43:09 AM »

as i said on msn, incredible

...actually i think i said amazing...

...it's incredible!

the mind is a beautiful thing, use it and make the world a more beautiful place.
TheAdventMaster
Ancient Guru

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 11:14:43 AM »

;_;  I cried . . . First reason I cried, because I didn't do this before you.  Second reason I cried, because someone else made a cover and it sounds soooooooo goood.
DrV
Na_th_an

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 01:29:16 PM »

Really rockin' stuff! Smiley  The tracked drums sort of detract from it though, IMHO - no "feeling" to them.
jsmith71
Been there, done that

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 03:27:21 PM »

Quote from: "DrV"
Really rockin' stuff! Smiley  The tracked drums sort of detract from it though, IMHO - no "feeling" to them.

Well, gimme a drumkit and a year or two to practice, and maybe I'll be able to address that point. Tongue
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 10:09:58 PM »

It's so nice. I love it Smiley

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
marzecTM
Ancient Guru

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 12:42:09 PM »

is it me or is it mono? anyways, sounds neat, as others mentioned: the drums suck

quote="NecrosIhsan"]

[/quote]
TheAdventMaster
Ancient Guru

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 01:36:48 PM »

What's so bad about the drums?  I think the whole song goes together perfectly.
jsmith71
Been there, done that

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 08:03:45 PM »

Quote from: "marzecTM"
is it me or is it mono? anyways, sounds neat, as others mentioned: the drums suck

Gee, thanks. Nice criticism there. :shifty:
What about them sucks? Why, exactly, do you think they suck? Are they mixed too far back? Snare too quiet? Something else? "They suck" is phrased more as an insult than anything that'd help me out. Tongue
Clip of the drums on their own:
http://fileanchor.com/61445-d

They are mixed a bit far back in the final song (or, more accurately, the guitars are too far forward), so the snare becomes lost and the hihat/cymbals do take up a bit too much space. But please, refrain from just bashing whatever you don't like. A reason would be very helpful. :b

EDIT: Oh, and also: No, the song definately isn't mono. What would make you think that? :-? Are you sure something isn't wrong with your computer's sound?
DrV
Na_th_an

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 07:54:23 PM »

Regarding the drums, they just don't have any dynamics... they sound sort of "mechanical", especially the cymbal and bass drum.  I guess this is hard to get around with tracked drums, but the rest of the song sounds so nice and "human"-y, so to speak, so it sticks out more.  This is just my two cents, though. Smiley
marzecTM
Ancient Guru

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 08:57:52 PM »

as DrV said: the drums suck

quote="NecrosIhsan"]

[/quote]
jsmith71
Been there, done that

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 08:59:29 PM »

As DrV said: That's hard to get around with tracked drums Smiley
Deleter
Na_th_an

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 01:42:30 PM »

Yeah, I heard the original and I have to admit I like this one better. Imo, the drums are a needed part, but they sound sort of spacey and under-represented. They need to be more worked into the other music, which is probably what DrV is saying is hard with tracked drums. Wink But overall pretty nice. Smiley

Dr_Davenstein
Na_th_an

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 07:11:19 PM »

Huh? Dr_D hasn't posted in this thread, until now.  :lol:  I'm checking out the song now though. Wink

Pretty Cool... Who did the original? I've never heard it.
Deleter
Na_th_an

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 10:49:21 PM »

heh, not again *smacks head*. im sorry, v's and d's are too close, you know, havent you ever picked up a dvd and thought it said vvv? Havent You? HAVENT YOU!?!?!?!

*goes away and hides*

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: