Qbasicnews.com
November 20, 2018, 01:06:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Downloadable documentation?  (Read 11852 times)
Skyler
Ancient Guru

« on: June 09, 2006, 05:04:59 PM »

Is there a downloadable help-file style documentation for FB? That's the main reason I haven't switched to FB yet, because I don't have a handy reference file.

In the beginning, there is darkness the emptiness of a matrix waiting for the light. Then a single photon flares into existence. Then another. Soon, thousands more. Optronic pathways connect, subroutines emerge from the chaos, and a holographic consciousness is born." -The Doctor
TheAdventMaster
Ancient Guru

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 05:08:41 PM »

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4491
Zack
*/-\*

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 05:16:42 PM »

I think the latest version of FBIde has a feature which allows you to press F1 over any keyword and it will display the corrosponding help section.

f only life let you press CTRL-Z.
--------------------------------------
Freebasic is like QB, except it doesn't suck.
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 09:14:30 PM »

Quote from: "Skyler"
Is there a downloadable help-file style documentation for FB? That's the main reason I haven't switched to FB yet, because I don't have a handy reference file.

I feel the same way, I want a complete manual that I can download, print, and browse at my leasure. I don't think there is such a manual, just help text scattered about, readme type files, tutorials, examples, etc. Granted, such a manual would undergo revisions. I too hesitate on jumping in to FB mainly for this reason.

TheAdventMaster
Ancient Guru

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 09:39:40 PM »

Quote from: "Moneo"
Granted, such a manual would undergo revisions. I too hesitate on jumping in to FB mainly for this reason.
So the link I posted meant nothing? ;_;
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 11:16:09 PM »

Quote from: "TheAdventMaster"
Granted, such a manual would undergo revisions. I too hesitate on jumping in to FB mainly for this reason.

I went to that link, and it took me to a forum on FB documentation. Not exactly downloadable documentation, you must agree.
TheAdventMaster
Ancient Guru

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 02:43:52 AM »

I went to that link, and it took me to a forum on FB documentation. Not exactly downloadable documentation, you must agree.*****
I took *me* to the thread in which there's a link to downloadable documentation of FreeBASIC. . .
Dr_Davenstein
Na_th_an

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 03:07:05 AM »

Moneo, there is a downloadable doc now. I can't remember who to give the credit to, so I guess I just wont. :lol:

I put a copy here, in case you have problems with sf.net or something. Wink
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 07:18:49 PM »

Thanks, Dr_D.
Dr_Davenstein
Na_th_an

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 07:33:48 PM »

No problem. I wouldn't bother to print it yet though. As you said earlier, the manual would require unknown revisions, since the compiler is still evolving. It is frustrating sometimes, but we're in on the ground floor, sending input to the engineers, ya know? We could never do that if Microsoft was developing it.    :king:  

And that reminds me...
Has anyone else heard the rumor that Microsoft will be shipping a new version of QB with Vista?
Moneo
Na_th_an

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 12:03:49 AM »

Quote from: "Dr_Davenstein"
No problem. I wouldn't bother to print it yet though. As you said earlier, the manual would require unknown revisions, since the compiler is still evolving. It is frustrating sometimes, but we're in on the ground floor, sending input to the engineers, ya know? We could never do that if Microsoft was developing it.    :king:  

And that reminds me...
Has anyone else heard the rumor that Microsoft will be shipping a new version of QB with Vista?

Regarding printing it now, maybe I'll just print in light pencil, he,he.

I haven't heard about any QB in Vista. But, you can be sure that if they did something like that, it would be incompatible with our beloved QB, and would subsequently put the final nail into the coffin of our QB. Freebasic and all the other "new" Basics, would also follow closely behind. You can't compete with a potential audience of millions of Microsoft Windows users adopting this new QB.
Antoni Gual
Na_th_an

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 02:00:39 AM »

It seems QBasic1.1 works more or less in Vista, provided you don't do graphics
http://www.network54.com/Forum/13959/message/1149642194/QBasic+and+windows+Vista
Vista has a ntvdm more restricted than XP's.

Antoni
coderJeff

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 11:48:01 PM »

Hi all.

Missed it by a few days: (Jun 11)

(Unofficial) FreeBasic Manual Download Page

http://frontpage.execulink.com/coder/freebasic/docs.asp

I plan to update the download every few weeks.

I wrote a program in freebasic to download pages from the freebasic wiki and convert to html/chm.  I am currently working on a text version of the manual for DOS.
relsoft
*/-\*

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 12:11:32 PM »

Nice site @coderjeff.  Downloading the CHM format. :*)

y smiley is 24 bit.

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
coderJeff

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 09:30:51 PM »

... something for the hardcore dos freaks. Tongue

fbhelp.exe (dos) and fbhelpw.exe (windows) console help viewer for FreeBASIC manual.

Still lots to do, but I would like to get feedback on how it runs under dos/windows and any feature requests.

Source under a GNU compatible license will eventually be available.  Binaries only for this testing release.

Download available from my (Unoffiicial) FreeBASIC Manual page:
http://frontpage.execulink.com/coder/freebasic/docs.asp

Important keys: F1=DocToc, F2=readme, CTRL+X = Exit.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oops.  I first built the download with an older snapshot of the wiki.  For more recent wiki.  Please DL again, sorry.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: