Qbasicnews.com
August 19, 2019, 03:10:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you need to understand higher mathmatics for programming?  (Read 8772 times)
relsoft
*/-\*

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 11:51:49 AM »

aha!!!!!

1 + 1 = 42

Cheesy

y smiley is 24 bit.

Genso's Junkyard:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/
yetifoot
Ancient Guru

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 12:53:06 PM »

NO!!!!

1+1 = 11

EVEN MEN OF STEEL RUST.
SJ Zero
Been there, done that

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 10:12:05 PM »

Higher maths are the sort of thing that you don't need until you have them.

You can program without them, and you can live without them, but the fact of the matter is that your worldview and understanding of what you program is hackish this way.

It's easy to illustrate this concept. Before Newtons calculus of fluctions and his universal theory of gravitation, humans fought wars with cannons. No suprise there. However, war manuals demonstrate the behaviour of cannon balls as being roughly diagonal, followed by what is almost a complete drop-off.

Cannon balls obviously didn't move this way, but at the time simplistic and flawed aristotelian theories about the nature of movement were in vogue (as they had been for a millenium and half). In the end, canoneers still managed to destroy their targets, but with none of the finesse of later canoneers who had the benefit of newtonian physics.

In the world of numbers, not having access to similarly fundamental laws is like being the canoneer without calculus and a correct theory of gravitation. You may eventually hit the target, but it's going to be much easier for the person who didn't need to guess.
thegrogen
Ancient QBer

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 11:32:57 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin_theprogrammer"
Quote from: "Dr_Davenstein"
If you're looking for a good 3dgfx lib under FreeBASIC, you should look into opengl. I've never used DirectX because I don't know C or C++ well enough, but OpenGL works great with FB.

Also, DirectX will work under FB... it's just a pain in the ass.  :lol:

I tell you what, it will be a pain in the ass to use DX under FreeBASIC because of the need to use Windows API. I can make sense out of the C code, but it just for some odd reason looks very convoluted in BASIC...

I agree with you... but there is a way around it! You can use SDL for your windowing stuff, and DirectX for rendering/sound/whatever.

Here's a good article on the subject: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2249.asp

It's in C++, but it's not very advanced C++.

Glarplesnarkleflibbertygibbertygarbethparkentalelelangathaffendoinkadonkeydingdonkaspamahedron.
wallace
Wandering Guru

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 12:24:49 PM »

For early comp sci classes you do need some advanced math classes.  Discrete math is a must, you need to know how to do proof by induction.  You also will want to know how to do limits when analyzing O-notation.

f you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices.  The scary part is that if you play it forwards it installs Windows.
Blitz
I hold this place together

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 03:18:37 AM »

Yes, becuase of 2 reasons. First, math at university level teaches a certain way of thinking. That is a very problem solving way of thinking, second, most computer science books are written in a very mathematically oriented way, so is thesises.

oship me and i will give you lots of guurrls and beeea
torstum

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2006, 06:54:48 AM »

Knowing algebra helps a lot, and knowing just a little bit of calculus can pull you through many general problems. No need for higher mathematics.

In fact, programming is a great motivation for learning mathematics. I use programming to demonstrate numerically the quality of my physical models. But for people who want to make games and applications, what better incentive is there? What I find most pleasurable is to actually see equations taking life right in front of me, on my screen, either as points moving under gravity, or waves oscillating; it's kind of a virtual universe that you can control at will...very rewarding.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: