Qbasicnews.com
December 11, 2017, 11:52:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone interested in making a text adventure as a group?  (Read 85235 times)
Liquid Snake
Wandering Guru

« on: September 29, 2005, 11:37:45 PM »

I'd like to make a text adventure with some of you guys.  If you're interested let me know.  I like making them but I don't have the time anymore.  Besides, a game made by more than one person is usually better.  So, let me know if you're interested.  I don't care what it's based on.

Not yet Snake! It's not over yet!
speedlemon
I hold this place together

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 06:46:19 PM »

If you need some help. I would want to.  Even though im not that good at programming. I could probably do some of the other stuff besides programming and maybe a little programming.

heres this email address you can use to contact me
speedlemon@gmail.com
j2krei08
Guru

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 01:32:34 PM »

Sounds great!  I've attempted many times myself, but it's just too complicated with one person coding every single possibility.

Shouldn't this be a project, though?
speedlemon

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 04:10:47 PM »

j2krei- i really hope you're not serious... im not going to spend one second trying to make a text game like that. if i was going to help, i would at least try to make it better quality then that. something a bit more like na_th_an's tutorials.
Oz

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 06:08:09 PM »

i might be intrested in helping out

and we don't have to do "every possibility".there is a much easier way of doing things....

list possible commands, and possible objects, and cross reference...jsut make sure we know what is in which scene

oz~
Liquid Snake
Wandering Guru

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 06:49:32 PM »

Sweet. And speedlemon, why not?  Graphical games usually become too complicated, and if you try to add a story it becomes even harder.  Remember, this isn't Flash or Java where you can easily make or import a graphic and make it move or whatnot.  This is QBASIC.  To be honest in my opinion, if a game has a good story to it, then that's all that truly matters.

Anyway, I agree that a text adventure takes too long to make by one person.  So what should we make one on?  Any ideas?

Liquid Snake
Wandering Guru

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 06:51:43 PM »

Quote from: "j2krei08"
Shouldn't this be a project, though?

Feel free to move it if you can.

rpgfan3233
Ancient Guru

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 09:51:55 PM »

Quote from: "Liquid Snake"
This is QBASIC.

Hint: There is also FreeBasic. . .

974277320612072617420666C61696C21 (Hexadecimal for those who don't know)
Liquid Snake
Wandering Guru

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 11:46:48 AM »

Quote from: "rpgfan3233"
This is QBASIC.

ummm, ok.  In any case I'd like to start a game with you guys.  If you don't want to do a text-based game, then make suggestions and/or ideas for games.

rpgfan3233
Ancient Guru

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 11:55:48 AM »

Quote from: "rpgfan3233"
This is QBASIC.

ummm, ok.  In any case I'd like to start a game with you guys.  If you don't want to do a text-based game, then make suggestions and/or ideas for games.

QUOTE PYRAMID!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k :lol:

By that comment, I was referring to the fact that FreeBasic allows BMP loading. People could design great 2D figures, which could then be saved as BMPs and BLOADed when necessary.

974277320612072617420666C61696C21 (Hexadecimal for those who don't know)
Liquid Snake
Wandering Guru

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 01:57:49 PM »

ha, I didn't know that.  I simply am not familiar with freebasic, but hey, if you want to use it then knock yourself out.  

Would you guys rather hear suggestions from me and then you guys pick and choose?  Or do you want to post ideas and/or code?

speedlemon

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 05:28:59 PM »

Sweet. And speedlemon, why not?  Graphical games usually become too complicated, and if you try to add a story it becomes even harder.  Remember, this isn't Flash or Java where you can easily make or import a graphic and make it move or whatnot.  This is QBASIC.  To be honest in my opinion, if a game has a good story to it, then that's all that truly matters.

liquid snake-im fine with making it a text game. i was referring to the fact that j2krei plans on making all the choices the player can do by hand. at least i think thats what he meant when he said this:

but it's just too complicated with one person coding every single possibility.

and i guess the game would end up like something like this:

Code:
print "You are in your house"
print "1) go upstairs"
print "2) pick up the key"
print "3) talk to the gnome"
input choice$
if choice$ = "1" then goto upstairs
if choice$ = "2" then goto pickupkeys
if choice$ = "3" then goto talktognome

that would be a very bad idea to make a text game like that.

this is what i meant, but i guess i just said it bad.
and we don't have to do "every possibility".there is a much easier way of doing things....

list possible commands, and possible objects, and cross reference...jsut make sure we know what is in which scene

Anyway, I agree that a text adventure takes too long to make by one person.  So what should we make one on?  Any ideas?

once you have the engine done, all you need to do is design rooms. so its actually same amount of work as a regular game if not less work.
Liquid Snake
Wandering Guru

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 08:58:03 PM »

I see what you mean, and I agree, those games really do get boring if the options are presented  to you.  I've got some ideas, but I have already made threads for them a while back including a Resident Evil based text game.

speedlemon

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 06:02:14 PM »

resident evil sounds cool. but i dont know much about it other than its about zombies.
Oz

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 06:07:27 PM »

may i also suggest FreeBASIC to make commands in teh game 20 times easier

you could easily create a command hook to text:

Code:
TYPE command
    cname as string ' what command?  "get, take, grab" for example
    hook as function(this as command, associatation as string)
END TYPE

you could just reference the function for each command seperately, if you really wanted, eliminating the "this as command" OOP emulation.

I am more than happy to help, and even more if it's fb

email me alex _DOT_ barry _AT_ gmail _DOT_ com if you want to do this, and i'll do something....whatever

oz~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: