Qbasicnews.com
February 18, 2020, 09:08:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Back to Qbasicnews.com | QB Online Help | FAQ | Chat | All Basic Code | QB Knowledge Base

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: SCREEN resolution  (Read 7612 times)
Ralph
Ancient Guru

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 11:29:32 AM »

na_th_an:

I know that your reply is for Gordon, but, it is such a clear, detailed reply, that I just had to post to tell you, "Thanks".  Your replies that I have read in  the past have also been of this nature, and, very instructional.  One more time, THANKS!

Ralph, using QuickBASIC 4.5 and Windows XP Home Edition and Service Pack 2, with HP LaserJet 4L printer.
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 11:46:12 AM »

@Gordonsweet: Well, I don't know about the compiler you are using. Normally, in a Windows application, you define a window for it, or you configure it to run as a console window, or you don't do either thing so your process just "runs" with no window.

This applies when coding in a low level language. As your BBC Basic for windows is a port of the BBC syntax, I'm afraid that the whole process of creating and managing the application window is hidden from the developer and is handled automaticly (like it happens with a plain fB application or a C + Allegro application, for example). Maybe you could ask other users of this compiler who could offer better insight (in the two examples cited, this is, fB and C + Allegro, the window is handled for you by default, but you can take over this, maybe you can with BBC4W as well).

@Ralph: Thank you for your message, seriously Smiley It's great to be among nice people.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
GordonSweet
Guru

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 12:01:42 PM »

Thanks again Nathan.

If you get the time perhaps you might like to download the introductory Shareware versions of BBC4W from the first link below and likewise Liberty Basic from the second, to widen you no doubt extensive knowledge further. Both can be used with some limitations to create simple programs until you pay for registration for the full versions. QB code can be copied direct into LB and usually run much of it in its automatic MAINWINDOW that normally needs to be blocked when creating other Graphics or Text etc Windows.

Gordon

http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

http://www.libertybasic.com/
na_th_an
*/-\*

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 12:04:52 PM »

I'll take a glance when I get home Smiley Now I'm on a Linux box.

SCUMM (the band) on Myspace!
ComputerEmuzone Games Studio
underBASIC, homegrown musicians
[img]http://www.ojodepez-fanzine.net/almacen/yoghourtslover.png[/i
GordonSweet
Guru

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 01:42:48 PM »

Me plugging yet again Nathan the forthcoming version 5 of LB is for Linux I understand.

Gordon
Anonymous
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 09:11:43 PM »

fb owns all of this.. ;p post the code and i'll try to port it to fb, just to prove it.
GordonSweet
Guru

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 05:30:33 AM »

Chaos and Nathan

You or anyone are welcome to download my 3 QuickBasic efforts to activate Speech using the BBc4W Speaker.exe which is included from below.

Anyone is welcome to use the code in any way they wish such as with FreeBasic. You can see the object is to try to provide help for the disabled who cannot speak at all.

Gordon

http://sionet.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/QBspeach.zip
Anonymous
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 08:13:35 PM »

that code is wretched!
GordonSweet
Guru

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 03:33:18 AM »

Yes but it works, and I am strictly an Amateur!!

So improve on it and you are very welcome to market the result based on my ideas if you wish.
Anonymous
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 07:07:12 AM »

could you do me a favor and write a short summary of what each of the 3 .bas files does..? i can hardly infer it from the src, i got two of them compiling but i don't think they behave right.
GordonSweet
Guru

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 07:38:02 AM »

You should be able to run all the BAS files under QuickBasic OK  by starting as    QB /L QB    even if you do not use the SPEAKER.EXE for the speech options.

CHATBD.BAS just displays an alpha keyboard you activate the keys by a left click of the mouse for speaking or printout

Chaos

MSGBOARD.BAS displays a number of phrases to be selected by the mouse, for speaking or printout.

TALKER.BAS allows speech from keyboard entries or by reading any ASCII TXT file.

As I explained on the earlier posts here the screen minimizes sometimes when you first use the SPEAKER.EXE for speech.

I do have BBC4W and LB versions that work perfect both using the SPEAKER.EXE or with LB using its own speech API calls

Gordon
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: